PDA

View Full Version : Prototype

Bill Halsey
Jun-06-2007, 10:30pm
First F-5 in 30 years. Less than great wood, but this was sort of a practice run...

Bill Halsey
Jun-06-2007, 10:33pm
Odd parts from my junk box...

MikeEdgerton
Jun-06-2007, 10:40pm
It looks great from here.

Loren Bailey
Jun-06-2007, 10:53pm
Dang, It looks fantastic!

Loren

Bill Halsey
Jun-06-2007, 10:56pm
With my deep appreciation to our pal Adrian for his encouragement, his love of this subject and, most of all, for his friendship.

Bill Halsey
Jun-06-2007, 11:08pm
Sidebound...

Bill Halsey
Jun-06-2007, 11:10pm
And my attempt at a vintage endpin...

cooper4205
Jun-06-2007, 11:11pm
looks like you didn't skip a beat! that's a beautiful mandolin

F5G WIZ
Jun-07-2007, 12:44am
Looks pretty dog gone good for old parts from a junk box!!

JeffD
Jun-07-2007, 12:48am
Looks great, hows she sound?

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jun-07-2007, 1:47am
Absolutely beautiful! more pics?? website??

atetone
Jun-07-2007, 2:13am
Very tasty.
It has a real nice warm glow to it.
I am thinking that maybe you shouldn't wait another 30 years to do the next one.

P Josey
Jun-07-2007, 4:52am
Great lookimg mando. Did you build using Adrian's plans? How's the sound ?

Hans
Jun-07-2007, 5:50am
Very nice Bill, Congratulations!

B. T. Walker
Jun-07-2007, 6:00am
Looks just great to me. Good job. Well done.

Mark Walker
Jun-07-2007, 6:15am
Ditto - looks great to me as well!

Well done! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JEStanek
Jun-07-2007, 7:23am
Frankenmando? I don't think so. Looks pretty darn good and you didn't skimp on the tough details either...

Jamie

mandopete
Jun-07-2007, 8:34am
I could only wish to do as well after a 30 year vacation!

amowry
Jun-07-2007, 10:29am
Looks beautiful! Nice work.

testore
Jun-07-2007, 10:52am
Practice run my A%&!! It looks as great as I knew it would. Keep making bows.....PLEASE!!!!

sunburst
Jun-07-2007, 11:07am
Scrap box or not, I'd say that's one of the best looking F-5s that's come from the Kalamazoo area.

carleshicks
Jun-07-2007, 11:15am
i want one that color is perfect

Scotti Adams
Jun-07-2007, 11:27am
Scrap box or not, I'd say that's one of the best looking F-5s that's come from the Kalamazoo area.
Kudoz...it sure reeks a vintage mando...great job.

testore
Jun-07-2007, 12:29pm
If there's someone who doesn't know, Billbows isthe best American bow maker that I know and I'd put him top 3 in the world. His hands are 2nd to none.My relationship with Bill began when I had the chance to rehair one of his bows. When I saw the work he did on the inside of the frog I made a call(@midnight Utah time) to compliment his hand skills. Bill answered the phone(Vermont time), he was hard at work, as was I. His work is SOOO incredible, that's why I'm glad he's making bows. If there's anyone who wants to make an investment BUY HIS BOWS. It may sound nuts but trust me his bows are then best I've seen.

Jerry Byers
Jun-07-2007, 12:35pm
Gary, don't forget that I'm looking for a bow.

testore
Jun-07-2007, 1:18pm
I'm not joking....get on his list now.

sgarrity
Jun-07-2007, 2:05pm
If it sounds as good as it looks.....I'm gonna order two! You nailed the vintage vibe for sure.

markishandsome
Jun-07-2007, 6:24pm
Yeah, that wood sure is an eyesore, just dump your whole junk box by the curb....heck, I'll even take it off your hands for you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mark Franzke
Jun-07-2007, 8:35pm
I hope you don't wait 30 years to build another one. Stunning work!

Skip Kelley
Jun-08-2007, 6:55am
Practice run??!! That mandolin is awesome! That is one of the best looking mandolins I have ever seen! Perfect work!!
Time for another!

Brain
Jun-08-2007, 8:03am
I searched the web but couldn't find anything about his bows. Can you provide more info?

Brian

Jerry Byers
Jun-08-2007, 8:10am
Ditto.

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 8:37am
Sorry for the lack of web presence. Always been word of mouth. I own the domain, www.billbows.com, but have yet to do something with it. Should happen soon -- will try to include some mando content as that progresses.

testore
Jun-08-2007, 9:15am
just put up a pic or two here. I've seen a lot of his bows and his work is nothing but perfect all the time. Makes me sick.

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 12:48pm
Okay Gary... this is stretching the mando content a bit, but this one's for you.

I also do floors & windows, weekends only...

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 12:54pm
Absolutely beautiful! more pics??
Okay, here are a couple more...

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 12:56pm
Dovetailed points...

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 1:20pm
Enough bandwidth for now.

Flowerpot
Jun-08-2007, 1:25pm
That looks absolutely spot-on. Wow, that's a stunner.

mrmando
Jun-08-2007, 1:26pm
I'll take one bow each for fiddle, viola and bass. Couldn't that flowerpot get you in trouble with the big G?

testore
Jun-08-2007, 1:38pm
STOP BUILDING MANDOLINS !!!!!!PLEASE

Spruce
Jun-08-2007, 1:45pm
Yeah, don't let the "aw shucks" routine fool ya.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Mr. Halsey is a ringer, and is (obviously) very knowledgable about what makes the F5 tick...

"Less than great wood"

Gee, thanks....
Looks "right" (and familiar) to me.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 3:26pm
Yeah, don't let the "aw shucks" routine fool ya.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Mr. Halsey is a ringer, and is (obviously) very knowledgable about what makes the F5 tick...
"Less than great wood"
Gee, thanks....
Looks "right" (and familiar) to me.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
Aw shucks, Bruce -- that ain't your wood. Saving your good stuff for mandos without flowerpots...

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 3:44pm
Great lookimg mando. Did you build using Adrian's plans? How's the sound ?
The sound… this is some scary. Been a recovering BG’er for over 8 years now, but this one just may knock me off the wagon for good.

For fresh out of the box, I think it sounds very good. Hard to argue tone without a demo, but it has that punchy, rich response, with a woody bottom, ringing highs and good sustain. Won’t bottom out or go <splat> -- just gets louder and richer. Focused & present, not hollow. (Does any of this make sense?) More tonal choices than I’m used to, picking from the bridge on up.

Never know until you hammer on it on stage, but for now it’s kind of hard to lay it down. We’ll see where it goes this summer. The scary part will be trying to improve upon it. Sounds like work, but I am confident that I can at least duplicate it.

Yes, I refer regularly to Adrian’s fine drawings. We’ve been in constant touch hashing this stuff over for the last couple of years, which began ostensibly as a pre-publishing proofread & factual review. But I can tell you that I’m the one who has learned the most from our exchanges.

Thank you all so much for your kind posts on this thread – and to Scott, Dan, Darryl, et al, for giving us the resources to study these old dogs. I’ve been a Loar-head ever since they were going for $900, but never felt more like building them than now.

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 3:52pm
I'll take one bow each for fiddle, viola and bass. Couldn't that flowerpot get you in trouble with the big G?
You may wish to ask them. Actually, this mandolin does not exist... I photoshopped it together and put my name on it. I'm just a bowmaker. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Would that bow trio include a French or German style bass bow?

Spruce
Jun-08-2007, 3:58pm
"For fresh out of the box, I think it sounds very good."

What's the top wood, Bill? Knowing you, I'm guessing Red....?

So how many mandos did you build back in the day?

My guess is that you're really itching to move on to an F4....

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 4:30pm
[quote=Spruce,June 08 2007, 16:58]"For fresh out of the box, I think it sounds very good."

What's the top wood, Bill? Knowing you, I'm guessing Red....?

Right, Bruce. Actually, the top is a fabulous piece of old red spruce that I had joined up years ago. It had a stain down the center that didn't show up under the finish. It's the best piece of wood on this mando. The rest of it is fine acoustically, just a bit pedestrian.

"So how many mandos did you build back in the day?"

I don't know how many mandos I made -- not very many. These guys from nosbiG used to bring me parts to put together and finish out for them, and would barter stuff like tuners, buttons, etc. Beyond that, I've made only a few of my own. Certainly nothing bearing a flowerpot... or that dreadful BS (bell-shaped) trussrod cover. No...

"My guess is that you're really itching to move on to an F4...."

I have plenty of those. Really, one of my fav's is a sweet little 1916 A that I picked up off e##y. A real player.

HoGo
Jun-11-2007, 8:55am
I'm a bit late here, but I think I have $.02 to add.

I was fortunate enough to be "virtually" present at birth of this mando (thanks Bill!) and I can tell you Bill included all known (at least to me and Bill) details of Loar construction in this machine. Right from the choice of the woods right to the coloring and finish.
You should notice the ivory point protectors (IMO Loars with ivoroid binding used ivory). The headstock is not only done with pearwood veneer on top, but also done the original way when the thin pear venner was inlaid first (the pearl held in place with paper tape) and then applied to the laminations.
He also went into trouble of making homemade colors (as used in 20s) similar (if not identical) to what was used at Gibson back then. And of course the right kind of oil varnish with french polish. And one important thing, not a single maker I know of has more authentic body shape than Bill does have. Really.
He failed on one thing though.... His work is way too precise to be Loar-like. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #The inside of the rim of this instrument was so cleanly done that my jaw dropped down to the floor.
The only nicer mandolin that I can imagine is the next one to leave Bills workshop.
BTW: I've seen just a few pics of Bills bows and they are in the "Rolls Royce of bows" category. I hope he will make more mandolins like this.

Bill Halsey
Jun-18-2007, 1:23pm
I've been on the receiving end for years, and would gladly share anything I've learned in exchange for a little of Ken's & Laura's creativity. For me, originality is the hard part and I admire makers with their own ideas.

Timbofood
Jun-19-2007, 8:15am
Hey, get in line, after the wolf at the door has pups I am selling them for one of Bills Mandolins! I have had the honor of knowing him since about 1970(maybe a little earlier) and a finer person I don't believe I have ever known. Bill and I have "chatted" about this project for many years. My wallpaper is an early shot of this piece in the "white". I hope to have an opportunity to try this little gem out in the next month or so!
See you soon Bill,
T

mando_clad_chick
Jun-26-2007, 12:12pm
wow beautiful

Timbofood
Jul-09-2007, 8:57am
I don't know how interested anyone may be but, I had a chance to pick on this little gem two times in a week!
First time it had J-74's on it and they were a touch light for my lead hands but, Bill put fresh J-75's on for a little party Friday night and I was much more comfortable with it.
The fit and finish is really fine, Bill says there are a few things he would like to tweak and I understand that so, OK it is not the example of excellence that he is capable of but, this is the first one in almost 30 years! The feel...neck shape was very comfortable, and the feel...like buttah! Shapes all line up, scroll very pretty, The sound, I think it shows great potential.
A friend asked if I was playing harder than on my own mandolin, I was not. He said there was a real "presence" in the sound. Volume, depth of tone, responsiveness, all right there waiting to be unleashed. In a few years, I think this will be a mandolin for banjo players to respect!
It was a fine time at the party and went on into the night with both Bill and I swapping back and forth between my old Alvarez and his new project. I will be happy to have the next one or the one after that. The attention to detail is where Bill understands what is going on. No extra/unnecessary flourish, just using the true vintage lines and style. If any one gets the chance to meet Bill and play this instrument,or just meet Bill, do not pass it up you will be met with warmth and pleasant sounds from both. Nice work Bill!
Can't wait til next time to see how it "grows up".
T

Timbofood
Jul-17-2007, 11:58pm
Well Bill, Miss Newbie was chatted about tonight at the gig. Every one said how much they liked the sound. I really enjoyed the feel with the 75's but that is something we have talked about face to face. I can't speak of the fun it was to play. "I ain't got the words."

Mikey G
Jul-18-2007, 12:25am
Shazaam! What a beauty!

Demetrius
Nov-16-2020, 7:57am
Perfection <3

Old Growth
Dec-07-2020, 8:04pm
If Bill considers the aforementioned F5 a "practice run", I wonder what he called the previous one from 30 years prior('77)?

EvanElk
Dec-07-2020, 11:12pm
If Bill considers the aforementioned F5 a "practice run", I wonder what he called the previous one from 30 years prior('77)?

Old Growth asked me to post these photos of his '77 Halsey since his computer was not cooperating: 190360190361190362

EvanElk
Dec-07-2020, 11:22pm

And I missed one 190363

Glassweb
Dec-07-2020, 11:44pm
That mandolin is just incredible... other than the name in the headstock that's about "as Loar" as I've ever seen and I've seen, owned and played a bunch. Mr. Halsey is a staggering talent and as nice a human being as you could ever wanna deal with... truly! Congrats Dennis!

Old Growth
Dec-08-2020, 4:17am
Thank you Evan, for posting those photos. And, thanks Glassweb it is more mandolin than I will ever need. Plays very nicely and has wonderful tone. Mr. Halsey is a master. Here is a mellow recording of his F5.

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjamin-523738788/spire-studio-project-11-m4a

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjamin-523738788/spire-studio-project-7-m4a-4

Old Growth
Dec-08-2020, 3:59pm
This is the last recording I'll post regarding Mr. Halsey's mandolin. This isn't a tune I wrote. Hope everyone has a safe and peaceful holiday season. thank you.

Oldgrowth..

https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjamin-523738788/spire-studio-project-m4a-2

Demetrius
Sep-17-2022, 4:42pm
I would like to resurrect this thread with some photos of how she and her sibling looks today...

Timbofood
Sep-17-2022, 7:39pm
I was lucky enough to have dinner with Bill and Marilyn back a week and a half ago, we chatted about everything like we had been down the street for the last ten years!
It was a lovely evening, we talked instruments, wine, food, how time is cruel and things we wished we’d done and things we probably shouldn’t have.
I encourage you all to send them good wishes! He’s definitely one of the good guys!
Demetrius, I SHOULD have bought that!

Jim Garber
Sep-22-2022, 7:53pm
Scrap box? What a beauty? I have a pallet you can use for your next F-5. :)

Jim Garber
Sep-22-2022, 7:54pm

Hah! I should have looked at the year this thread started… oops!

Demetrius
Sep-24-2022, 8:24am

Hah! I should have looked at the year this thread started… oops!

Lol! :))
Sorry, I had to resurrect this one. Bill is such a master builder...