PDA

View Full Version : Flat top strings breaking

kjskipper
Jun-05-2007, 10:34pm
I have a Collings MT that, until my most recent string change, had not had a set of D'addario Flat Top strings installed. #The second course of strings in the Flat Tops are wound. #My mandolin previously only had solid 2nd strings installed. #I found that, when tuning the 2nd course of Flat tops, that the winding, although polished, would catch on the nut, and would not easily tune. #I eventually broke one of the strings because of this symptom. #The string broke between the nut and the peg; indicating an excess of tension specifically located in that area.

I really liked the sound coming from the wound 2nd course, and would like to try another set of Flat Tops. #What would I need to do to the nut to keep this symptom from occuring in the future, without either damaging the slots in the nut or causing problems should I revert back to solid strings?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Chris Baird
Jun-05-2007, 10:41pm
Hi Ken, the nut slot needs to be filed to fit the diameter of the new string.

John Flynn
Jun-05-2007, 10:45pm
I had the same problem with those strings. You can fix the problem of the winding catching on the nut by rubbing a pencil point in the nut slot before you put a new string on. That of course creates graphite dust, a dry lubricant well suited to the task. If the problem still happens, you may want to have a luthier look at your nut slots. There may be a rough spot on them.

However, I doubt that the string actually broke because of the winding catching on the nut. It was the core that broke, not the winding. One of the issues that you can't solve is that for those A strings to be wound, the core has to be very thin. I kept having breakage problems with those strings on two different mandos and finally just switched to other strings. If you really like wound A flat top strings, try the T-I Starks. They are more expensive, but they last a lot longer than than the FT's.

Martin Jonas
Jun-06-2007, 1:54am
Another issue with wound A-strings is that they need a different bridge compensation from plain ones. In other words, if you have a standard compensated bridge, your intonation will be out unless you change the saddle.

Martin

kjskipper
Jun-06-2007, 7:54am
Sounds like wound 2nd course strings are more trouble than they're worth. #I like the sound better, but not THAT much better. #Looks like I'll be sticking with plain As. #Thanks for the input everyone http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mikeo2
Jun-06-2007, 8:22pm
I cut my nut a little wider for wound A's and started buying them in bulk to go with my J74 sets... I can't go back to plain strings. I like the feel better and love the tone and balance.

aries753
Jun-06-2007, 10:39pm
Martin, how much different is the bridge compensation for the wound A string? Any ideas? Which direction does the bridge need to move?

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wondering.:D

acousticphd
Jun-07-2007, 11:57am
Martin, how much different is the bridge compensation for the wound A string? Any ideas? Which direction does the bridge need to move?

It's significant. Close to no compensation, probably even with the E-string saddle.

acousticphd
Jun-07-2007, 11:58am

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt and speak for Martin - the above was my own experience.

Martin Jonas
Jun-07-2007, 12:23pm
Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt and speak for Martin - the above was my own experience.
Don't worry -- I entirely agree anyway.

It's not a question of moving the bridge, either: you need a different bridge position for the A-string only, with the other three strings staying where they are. The only way of doing that is to have a different saddle. The picture below (from Alex Timmermann's site on Embergher bowlbacks (http://www.embergher.com/index.php?id=56)) shows two bridges made for the same Embergher instrument. The upper one is the original one and is intended for plain A strings, the lower one is for a set with a wound A string (specifically Lenzner Consort strings). As you can see, it's much as described by Jeff: for a wound A string, you want the E, A and D string saddles to be more or less in s straight line and the G string set back a bit.

Martin