PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding injuries from playing

peterbc
May-18-2004, 7:32pm
Hi,
This topic probably has been covered to some degree but I've never seen it covered explicitly. I was curious what sorts of things can be done now (while I'm young) to prevent getting arthritis and other painful things that'll keep me from playing when I'm older. I practice and play quite a bit and I have no intention of cutting down, but I know people who have arthritis in a bad way and I don't want that to happen to me.

Thanks,
Peter

krishna
May-19-2004, 12:08pm
Hi Pete in B.C.! I don't think there is anything you can do about arthritis at all.It's ALL in the jeans(?)wether you are predisposed to it.But if you want to keep a healthy body,and keep playing you just have to be carefull with the practicing.If you are playing the same phrase over and over (like hundreds of times 'cause you can't get it), and your hand started hurting in some way after the 30th time,well you are just asking for trouble.You HAVE to listen when your body is trying to tell you something. Also,just as an aside, I always make any students of mine wear a strap because haveing to hold up the neck and playing at the same time is a VERY bad combo. #Kerry. # #PS I'm moving up to Prince George in a few weeks.Exiting for me....

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
May-19-2004, 12:13pm
David Grisman had some good advice in one of his instuctional tape series. He said if you experience pain, stop! Okey-dokey, Dave.

peterbc
May-19-2004, 12:22pm
I'm not in BC, that's my middle and last initials (but I'm close, down in Seattle).

Anyway, thanks. Neither of my parents have arthritis, but neither of them play stringed instruments. I always use a strap, I just find it more comfortable to play with one.

Peter

August Watters
May-19-2004, 5:14pm
I'll put in a plug for nutritional supplements: the glucosomine-chondroitin combination I'm on has done wonders for my flexibility and finger agility. I recommend it highly for anyone over the age of 40 who plays a stringed instrument. (Not that I'm there yet myself, of course. . . .)

Aside from that, my only advice is to study technique broadly, and be sure you're doing everything right to eliminate unnecessary hand tension.

August W

peterbc
May-19-2004, 7:44pm
Well I've got a few years, I'm at the ripe old age of 22 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I heard someone else mention that too, that's sorta what got me thinking maybe I should try some more preventative measures.

Peter

chirorehab
May-20-2004, 10:57am
Stretching, stretching, and more stretching! Here is a link to some decent stretches: Stretches (http://www.musicianshealth.com/stretches.htm).

Posture is important too! After looking at the photos from mandofest - I can safely say the most mandolin players have extremly poor posture!

There are a couple of exercises that can be done to improve posture.. Hard to explain online though.. I recommend taking a Pilates class from a good instructor.

Good luck,

Eric Nelson, DC