PDA

View Full Version : Michael kelly octave mandolin

Quavers
Jun-05-2007, 3:40am
I see that MK do an f-style octave mandolin, does anyone have any experience of them?

How do they compare to say a Garrison or a Fylde OM, which seem to be in a similar price bracket?

Sorry if this should have gone in the CBOM forum. Let me know if so and I'll place the query there.

Quavers
Jun-05-2007, 7:17am
Sorry folks, now found some info in the dim and distant past on the search function!!

JEStanek
Jun-05-2007, 7:25am
You'll probably get answers faster in the CBOM section. #Even faster with a search there first. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=466554782029996f)

FWIW, that's an arch top octave and will sound different than the majority of OMs which are flat topped. #I have the Trinity College OM that I bought for about 1/2 the cost of the MK. #It's a solid OM that sounds pretty nice. #For that $1K for the MK you could almost get a custom built flat-top from some builders, have a thinner finish and better intonation / playability / resale etc.

If you just want to get your feet wet, the TC OM (ideally used) would be a great way to see if you like it for about $375!). #People have modified them with tailepieces, bridges and nut changes but I would say its servicable outta the box with a good set up and decent strings. #However, there are people far more OM-wise than me (it's more of a novelty for my herd) who can comment on the Fylde's and Garrison's particular strengths.

Good luck,
Jamie

clarksavage
Jun-05-2007, 8:50am
Just to add... the Garrison OM is a surprisingly good little OM. It is short scale, very nice for my shorter finger span, and sounds just fine. I was surprised by the Garrison, the low end one (birch) is pretty cheap, too. If you have a local dealer, I recommend you go try one out.

Clark