PDA

View Full Version : Butch Baldassari

Scott Tichenor
Jun-03-2007, 8:42pm
Here's some news that's been flying under the radar for awhile and Butch has decided it's a good time to let people know. He composed and sent this email to some people today and has allowed me to share it. I would like for us to lend our support to him any way we can. His words follow, and I hope you'll keep him in your thoughts as he goes through a scary and difficult phase of treatment.

-------

Dear friend,

Some of you may or may have not heard that I have been having some health problems recently. It started in mid-March with my left hand losing about 20% of its facility. I have not cancelled any performances yet, but I really can't do any recording or work that focuses heavily on myself as soloist. I am still playing concerts with Nashville Mandolin Ensemble. After an MRI and a brain biopsy on May 22, I was diagnosed with a low level 3 anaplastic astrocytoma deep in the right side of my brain. Because it is inoperable, I am following a regime of radiation and chemo beginning this Wednesday, June 6 for 6 weeks. I am going to be eating only a macrobiotic diet and following their lifestyle rules. I will also be receiving acupuncture, energy balancing treatments and massage therapy.

Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at soundartrecordings@comcast.net or call my cellphone 615-727-3815 or at home 615-292-0324. I hope to see or hear from you soon.

Butch

Jerry Byers
Jun-03-2007, 8:47pm
Butch, I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. You have been the inspiration for my mandolin playing; you're a top notch player and teacher. We will keep you in our prayers.

F5G WIZ
Jun-03-2007, 8:51pm
Our prayers will be with Butch during this trying time in his life. We sincerly hope that he will fully recover and be able to get back to doing what he loves in his life. His music is an inspiration to all of us.

elmaestro
Jun-03-2007, 8:56pm
Wow! #Shocking news! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
My prayers are with him and his family.

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2007, 9:02pm
That is a real shock. I sent Butch a brief note and also fwded the info to a few people who I know know him well and might not read this board.

Jim

John Flynn
Jun-03-2007, 9:04pm
Best wishes, Butch. Your playing has inspired me and no matter what happens, it always will.

DryBones
Jun-03-2007, 9:08pm
My family and I will have you in our prayers, Butch. You have been an inspiration for my mandolin playing. Every time I need a little boost I just pop in 1 of your DVD's and you never fail to get me charged up again. God bless you and good luck.

luckylarue
Jun-03-2007, 9:13pm
Butch - you will get through this, I'm sure. I hope to see you out west - maybe at next year's symposium. I just got back from the Bluegrass on the River festival in Pueblo, CO. Lots of good pickin' and many great mando players in attendance. Your name always seems to crop-up when fellow mando freaks start talking instruments, fiddle-tunes, or anything mandolin related (don't worry, nuthin' too weird). Sending you lots of positive vibrations from New Mexico.

Cheers, Scott

8STRINGR
Jun-03-2007, 9:23pm
Butch,

May our Mighty and Awesome God, who's hands can move mountains yet, can provide His gentle touch be upon YOU in your time of physical need.

I have always enjoyed listening to you on various recording projects and pray that the Lord Blesses you and restores your wonderful talent and ability for many years to come!

Please, keep us at the Cafe posted as we hope to hear GREAT news from you very soon.

God Bless You!

kyblue
Jun-03-2007, 9:42pm
Butch,

My prayers are with you as you fight this battle.

Your performance last year at IBMA stands out in my mind as one of my favorite moments of the week.

Paula

OHC
Jun-03-2007, 9:44pm
Dear Butch-

Your music and your teaching has brought a lot of joy to me and many others. May God grant grace, peace, and healing to you.

The "Out-House Counsel"

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2007, 10:06pm
Doc Hull from TX asked me to post this:

To the mandolin and musical community many of you have not heard the news released tonight with Butch's permission. Our friend and fellow musician has been diagnosed with a serious medical problem. I have been in contact with Butch thru the last 6 to 8 weeks and his attitude and courage have been tremendous.

He has waited to let most folks know because the diagnosis was dependent on a biopsy that was done on the 22 of May. He now has a treatment plan that will include radiation and chemo.

What he needs from us now is our prayers for restoration of his health and our support. He has a great team at Vanderbilt that will be directing his care.

Butch has given so much to the mandolin community and to the music world. He has been a friend to so many of us. I am proud to call him my friend. He has opened up a world of music I never really knew.

Stay turned for further plans.

Dr. Brian "Doc" Hull Wichita Falls Texas

Mark Levesque
Jun-03-2007, 11:30pm
Hey Butch,

It was wonderful to meet you and hear your ensemble at the Showcase Concert in Albuquerque.
I have been a fan for many years and it was great to finally see you perform!
We really enjoyed hanging out and talking after the concert and we are looking forward to seeing you in the future.
Our prayers are with you for a complete recovery.

Best Wishes from Connecticut,
Mark & Judy

Glassweb
Jun-04-2007, 12:43am
How about a benefit concert for Butch in Nashville? I'll support that in every way...

Rick Cadger
Jun-04-2007, 3:28am
very best wishes for your quick and complete recovery, Mr Baldassari.

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-04-2007, 3:36am
Dear Mr. Baldassari,

my best wishes are with you. I hope and pray for your recovery and as you see on this board, a lot of good vibes go out to you.

I have seen you perform in Germany at the Neusüdende Festival and I hope mentioning this brings back fond and therefore healing memories. I am sure you have a lot of such thoughts of a lot of places you have been.

Sincerely
Olaf Gläsmer

violmando
Jun-04-2007, 5:50am
Butch, if I may call you that....we have never met, but I feel I know you, through your numerous recordings which have been so inspirationation to someone who has come to the frets later in life. I will also keep you in my thoughts and prayers--you have given so much to the WHOLE MUSIC community and touched so many people that let's hope all our energies can help you in your time of need. Bless you.
Yvonne, Yellow Springs, Ohio

Chris Biorkman
Jun-04-2007, 7:31am
Scott,

Has anyone thought of setting up a fund to help out with treatment costs?

Scott Tichenor
Jun-04-2007, 7:48am
Scott,

Has anyone thought of setting up a fund to help out with treatment costs?
Yes, there's discussion about that and it'll come to be, although at this very moment I'm not sure anyone is leading it, although I'll likely play a role in this as I consider Butch a good friend. Another hurdle here is that when you're a professional musician, your employer usually doesn't provide paid sick leave. Chemotherapy itself is not a kind form of treatment and has it's own temporary disabling powers and recovery issues. Butch is going to need the help of his friends and a lot of kind people to get through this. I think it's important that his friends and this community provide our support and assistance to help get him through this ordeal and back on his feet playing music.

Lane Pryce
Jun-04-2007, 8:13am
Prayers for you and your family. Lp

mandopete
Jun-04-2007, 8:50am
Butch is one of the best! I'll keep him in my thoughts.

Keith Erickson
Jun-04-2007, 8:52am
Mr. Baldassari,

I thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

cgwilsonjr
Jun-04-2007, 9:00am
I took a mando lesson from Butch at Kauffman Kamp last year. Not only is he a great picker but a great teacher as well. My thoughts/prayer are with him and his family. Chuck

Perry
Jun-04-2007, 9:24am
Butch is a fantastic asset to the mandolin world through his playing, recordings and excellent instructional materials.

I wish the best to him for a full recovery.

I look forward to Scott's announcement as to how we can pitch in and help.

In the meantime one way we may be able to help him (and ourselves) is to do some shopping at his website (http://www.soundartrecordings.com/allproducts.shtml)

John Flynn
Jun-04-2007, 11:32am
I don't mean this to be critical, but it's just strange. I sent Butch a note at the email above, wishing him well and saying that I would keep him in my prayers. I signed it "John." I got an almost immediate reply, reprinted verbatim:

THANKs JOE??Bb

I just thought it was odd.

Skip Kelley
Jun-04-2007, 11:39am
Scott, Thanks for the information. Butch is and has been an instrumental person in the mandolin world as well as a great person! He will be in my prayers. Please keep us informed.

JEStanek
Jun-04-2007, 11:40am
Might have been a server error. E-mails can get odd sometimes. An almost immediate response would indicate some sort of auto generated reply (with or without an error).

Jamie

Neil Gladd
Jun-04-2007, 12:20pm
I am very sorry to hear about this, as I have known Butch for many years. I interviewed him once, and we have hung out together several times. I'll try calling him later tonight.

JamesBryan
Jun-04-2007, 12:43pm
So sorry to hear this distressing news; the more that we know, the more we can hold him in our thoughts and prayers. Butch has given so much wonderful music and been a central advocate for the mandolin -- hang in there Butch, we need you! Jim

andrew gates
Jun-04-2007, 2:07pm
Butch,

Scott Gates and family will keep you in our prayers. Scott was proud to record your arrangement of Lonesome Moonlight Waltz on his debut CD. I pray the Lord will heal you and keep that beutiful music flowing from you. Whatever paths this may lead you on, your friends are with you.

All our best... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Andy, Mimi and Scott Gates

Scott Tichenor
Jun-04-2007, 3:38pm
Wanted everyone to know I've set up an online donation form using PayPal that hooks into Butch Baldassari's bank account, and it's linked at the top of this page and will be on the Cafe home page shortly.

I discussed this next bit of information with Butch already in case you're wondering... some of you may have questions if he has medical insurance, and it's fair to ask. He does, but like some policies he has to pay a percentage of the final cost of the weeks of treatment up to a certain amount. Based on that, and without getting into his personal finances and intimate details of his policy, that amount is significant. On top of that, we all know Butch makes his living doing what he loves which is playing mandolin, but that's being taken away from him--temporarily we hope. He needs our support and I'm just trying to help out there. I hope some of you will as well.

shawverscrossing
Jun-04-2007, 6:49pm
Butch,

Your mando break to "I Wonder Where You Are Tonight" on Cordle's album is the best ever, and that is saying something for a song that's been played as much as that one. I also love your work with the NME, (caught you in Summersville, WV last year) and I hope you recover quickly.

TJ Boley

JEStanek
Jun-04-2007, 7:39pm
Butch,

You and your family are in my prayers.

Jamie

MLT
Jun-04-2007, 8:00pm
Butch,

You have the strength and attitude to overcome this...Not to mention all of our thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl Watson
Jun-04-2007, 8:17pm
Butch,

I am just one of the many who are praying for your health and for you to find strength through this very difficult time.

Love,

Cheryl

Jonathan James
Jun-04-2007, 8:19pm
thanks Scott for setting up the Paypal contribution site. Very nice gesture...

Fred_Murtz
Jun-04-2007, 11:08pm
Butch, I'm praying - and believing - for your complete healing and restoration. May you and your family be filled and covered with grace and peace.

hlebowi2
Jun-05-2007, 5:59am
Butch,
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
The workshops you've led at the Kaufman Kamp and Cape Cod were among the best I've attended. And the Travellers cd with Reischman and Bullock is one of my most listened to cds.
Get well soon,
Howard Lebowitz

Chippster
Jun-05-2007, 8:55am
So sorry to hear about you, Butch! I still wanna talk by the pool this summer, you better come out there!! I'll help here in Nashville with a benefit if ya'll need it! I can bring two bands in, the notorious "Next of Kin" band www.nextofkin.info and Gibson/Mileti trio ...
"You're so Nashville if your rock 'n roll band features a mandolin player."

mandoforme
Jun-05-2007, 12:00pm
Butch, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. God works in mysterious ways. I have a friend who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, and at that time, the doctor told him he only had 6 months to live, but through the power of prayer and kindness of God he is still going strong at 83 years old! Last week he was told that he will only have to see the doctor once a year, before, he was going to the doctor once a week. It really is amazing!

Butch, thank you for your numerous contributions to the mandolin world. God is going to take care of you. I am confident that God is going to see you through your illness. I am going to be praying for you.

Scott, such an outstanding and thoughtful gesture for setting up the account for donations! I will be donating to this much worthy cause.

Mark Walker
Jun-05-2007, 1:45pm
Ditto what everyone else has said, and thanks to Scott for letting the Mandolin Cafe' family know about Butch's health issues.

All our prayers and support go out to you and yours, Butch.

Peace, Blessings and improved health!

Doug Edwards
Jun-05-2007, 1:46pm
We're praying for you Butch as well as your family! God bless.

BassGuy
Jun-05-2007, 1:57pm
Butch, my thoughts and prayers have been with you this week. #I have always loved your playing from back in the Weary Hearts and Lonesome Standard Time days. #I have learned many tunes from your instruction material. #I appreciate your conversations the few times we have talked mandos.

Just a short story of how Butch has shown his generosity. #A year or so ago I placed a wanted ad on the cafe trying to complete my collection of the Bluegrass 95'-01' CD's. #Butch sent me an email and said "I've got 96' and it's in the mail, no charge". #Haven't forgot that.

Butch, I wish you a quick recovery.
God bless,

mandosis
Jun-05-2007, 3:41pm
Please know you and your family will remain in our thoughts.

johnnymando
Jun-05-2007, 7:23pm
Butch,
You're in my prayers man.
You've inspired me since we met in 93 at one of your Nashville camps and many times since.
My simple definition of your playing is "Tone"....
Keep your chin up through this, I know you have many supporters and musical comrades.
John Denniston

p.s. I challenge everyone who has attended one of Butches' classes or camps to donate to the Butch Baldassari Medical Fund.

bones12
Jun-05-2007, 9:15pm
Butch,These mandolins (and my Sawchyn F4 I got from you) and the best medical care will get you through this. Your karma and classic good will shall be really helpful. We are all pulling for you. Doug in Vermont

Ali
Jun-06-2007, 1:56am
I'll be thinking of you Butch and hoping for a speedy full recovery.
All the very best
Ali

glauber
Jun-07-2007, 10:28am
Very sorry to hear this. I hope the treatment is successful.

glauber http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Scott Tichenor
Jun-07-2007, 5:51pm
I spoke to Butch a few minutes ago by phone. He sounded tired. We didn't have a very long conversation but he wanted me to extend his thanks for the outpouring of support. It means a lot to him, and it means a lot to me as well and we both thank you. In another letter that was circulating around his family mentioned their thanks and that he would be doing treatments Monday through Friday for the next six weeks. That's intense.

Again, thank you for your support and I hope you'll consider chipping in a donation for those of you that haven't yet.

atetone
Jun-08-2007, 12:34am
Yes, Butch he has a long and tiring journey ahead him and I wish him and his family all the best.
I have to say that I very impressed by the actions of the members who are donating their time and products in the classifieds in order to assist Butch when he needs it the most.
I am sure that it will raise his spirits and assist in relieving some of the stress that he and his family are under at this time.
Finances become a large part of the stress in times like this and I am sure that everyones efforts and contributions will be greatly appreciated.
Once again I am reminded that there are a lot of great people involved in this passion of ours.

alan
Jun-08-2007, 4:43am
Butch,

There is a big mandolin community, both online and offline, that is out there pulling for you and we are all sending good energy your way. I bet you can feel it.

Our positive thoughts and prayers are with you.

Alan Epstein

Bill Halsey
Jun-08-2007, 5:13pm
Butch, you're doing all the right things. We're right with you and see you at 100%.

MikeVB
Jun-08-2007, 6:49pm
Another thing that'll help him financially and us aurally is to purchase some of his albums ASAP.

And, as with all artists it would surely raise his spirits to know that his work was being appreciated.

fiddlefeller
Jun-16-2007, 12:16pm
Butch and his family have been in our thoughts and prayers since he first sought a medical explanation for the weakness in his hand.

When I first picked up a mandolin, I asked local players who I should listen to. The same two names came up again and again: Bill Monroe and Butch Baldassari. I started my pickin' life with A Day in the Country - classic Butch. So clean, so rich.

That CD changed my life and brought a world of music to our home. My children and my grandchildren were introduced to the beauty of the mandolin thanks to inspiration from Butch.

Hang tough, buddy. You are in Good Hands.

brwatson
Jun-22-2007, 10:57am
Hi Butch, we have a mutual acquaintance, Paul Ebersman. He is a good friend, and knows of my daughter Mae's battle with the exact same tumor you have, but in her thalamus. Just know that we are praying for you, and my daughter Mae is as well. She's always strengthened to know someone else is fighting with her. You can read about Mae on the blog I'm keeping for her. http://web.mac.com/brwatson/. Fight hard, and know that we're praying for your full recovery as well.

Brett Watson (and Mae, Tess, Olivia, Carter, and Jamison)