PDA

View Full Version : Passernig #42

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:34am
This is Passernig #42, which I picked up yesterday at Smoky Mountain Guitars in Pigeon Forge, TN.

The back and sides are Pearwood of all things. According to Dan at SMG, Passernig harvested this tree from his family property in Germany. It's old wood, plain in figure. There are even a couple of tiny knots on the back. The top is Englemann, the neck is mahoghany. The headstock overlay looks like Rosewood to me, though it could be streaky Ebony. The binding is Maple. Other features include a varnish finish and abbreviated pickguard with matching Maple binding.

All that aside, it's about the tone isn't it? And I've got to say that this one has "it" in spades.....the chop, the volume, the clarity, the consistency up the neck, it is all there. Probably the most remarkable thing is the volume. I have played lots of mandolins and I am sure I've never played one louder than this one. It's such a cool feeling to play a mandolin that isn't compromised in some way. I've owned some that sound great with new strings, or when you play right over the sweet spot, or only in first position, or only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, etc. This one is not like those. It seems to have it all.

Pics attached.

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:35am
more

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:36am
more

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:38am
scroll

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:39am
Detail

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:40am

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 10:48am
BTW I took these pics with a DSLR. I probably need to adjust the resolution on the camera in order to get bigger pics that meet the site's restrictions on file size. Is there a thread with tips?

markishandsome
Jun-03-2007, 11:26am
I think it's in the "Art of Violinmaking" book where the author mentions repeatedly that the old Italian masters used many woods other than figured maple for their back and sides, including fruitwoods and even poplar. That mandolin is dead on perfect looking.

pjlama
Jun-03-2007, 1:56pm
Nice! Enojoy it, it's stunning. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tterral
Jun-03-2007, 4:36pm
Hey Mike, mandolin looks great. Glad to hear you are really pleased with it, as I am about 4-6 weeks out from getting mine. I have never played a Passernig, but it seems like every person that has one has said they are pretty incredible mandolins, and not just for the price. Mine has an Adirondack top with maple back/sides. I talked to Stefan last week and he made my neck a little wider and bigger, more round, which he really has not done. I had asked him about this a few months back and he said he really did not want to do that, but he evidently changed his mind (thanks Stefan!). I also thought he had decided against doing pickguards, but he is obviously doing those too. He said he had trouble with one earlier because it had alreeady been finished. He prefers to do the pickguards while the mandolin is still in the white. Congrats and please post a sound clip if you can.

Crowder
Jun-03-2007, 7:58pm
Mike,

Congratulations on your Passernig mandolin. After playing server and owning a few I can feel your excitement. Stefan makes a wonderful playing and sounding mandolin as well as being a fine gent! I'll probably pickup another a Cafe member has been talking to me about.

Let me ask you. Is the headstock inlay something you requested or a new inlay Stefan has gone to?

...keep on pickin'

mandopLuker
Nothing was requested--this is just how Stefan chose to make it. In fact, Dan said he didn't expect the back or headstock to be bound on this one. The inlay is very nice and original.

jhbaylor
Jun-03-2007, 10:21pm
Congrats! It's a beaut.

Jerry Stapleton
Jun-03-2007, 10:36pm
that is the most appealing sunburst that I have seen, front and back.

tterral
Jun-04-2007, 8:54am
I just noticed that Stefan seems to have upgraded his tailpiece on the newer mandolins, nice. Are you going to sell the MF now???

Lane Pryce
Jun-04-2007, 12:27pm
Tremendous mandolin!!! I really like it. Lp

Fretbear
Jun-04-2007, 12:59pm
That's a beautiful mandolin...

Crowder
Jun-04-2007, 9:21pm
I just noticed that Stefan seems to have upgraded his tailpiece on the newer mandolins, nice. Are you going to sell the MF now???
That's the plan. It's a good'un too, but I like this one and can't keep them both.

Thanks for the compliments about the mando's aesthetics. The maple binding took the varnish really well, so that the whole piece winds up looking somewhat aged. It's very pretty in person.

One thing you will notice when looking at the back--the neck and the back took the stain somewhat differently. I can imagine that Pearwood and Mahogany are mighty different, and this variation doesn't bother me at all.