PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play mandolute?

Jun-02-2007, 11:42am
...just out of curiosity, as one was listed in the classifieds today. Found lots of pics on the web, but not much info. Wikipedia says:

"A Mandolute is a North African instrument derived from the more traditional Oud. It combines the traditional format with western classical guitar, resulting in a shape similar to a Mandolin, only deeper and larger in the body, or sound box. It was produced by the American company Weymann in the early 20th century."

How is it a North African instrument if it was made by an American company? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

How is the sound different from a lute or mandolin?

Eugene
Jun-02-2007, 1:15pm
That definition may be a contender for the title of "the goofiest bit of Wiki junk I've ever read!" It's just a flat mandolin with the top and back plates slightly overhanging the ribs, violin-like: sorry, no ouds in sight. They sound like mandolins, well, because they are. Most I've come across are rather soft and relatively bass-y, not very bright toned. Click here. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=13;t=42844)

Jun-02-2007, 1:22pm
Thanks for that link, Eugene.

Yeah, wikipedia is downright awful. I've looked at so many entries concerning music and often considered adding my edits, but it's just too overwhelming. In most cases it would be better just to start from scratch.

Bob A
Jun-02-2007, 1:47pm
I believe the poster Mandolooter is a mandolute player; I almost bought one from him last year.

Hey, they got the Weymann part right, anyway.

Bob DeVellis
Jun-02-2007, 2:56pm
I have a Weymann mandolute but I find I don't play it very often. Just not my cup of tea. They're well made and attractive instruments but I'm not that crazy about their sound, although others like them just fine.

weymann1
Jun-02-2007, 3:22pm
I have 2 weymann mandolutes. Well made but hard to find one now that isn't cracked. Nice sound but not awesome.I like their wider neck. Their banjos are great. I have a few of them converted to 5 string. Loud and great sounding. Dan

allenhopkins
Jun-02-2007, 9:36pm
I had a Weymann Keystone State that was labeled "Mandolute," but didn't have the top and back overhang the sides. It had an induced arched top, rather than the bent or canted bowl-back top, and sounded not unlike a bowl-back. I traded it in on the Eastman mandola because at this point in my checkered career, I feel I have to lose an instrument if I acquire one. But it was a nice little mando; think I paid around $100 for it back in the '70's, got $200 or so in trade-in...