PDA

View Full Version : The loar mandolin

wilkie
May-30-2007, 4:42pm
This is my first post on Mandolin Cafe. Has anyone played The Loar mandolins. (they are presently being sold by Janet Davis Music)? I've read the threads on the Kentucky KM 1000 and they look very nice. I am considering a new mandolin and wanted some input on these before I made a final decision.
Thanks.

fiddler59
May-30-2007, 6:20pm
Never played one....from what I have heard they (The Loar Mando) has a bent top instead of a carved top....If that is the case I would not get my hopes up !!

David Blackmon

Yellowmandolin
Jun-04-2007, 12:51pm
I heard one played by the owner of a shop I've done business with and he put it right back in the box...

testore
Jun-04-2007, 2:54pm
I'd like to know if they are bent tops. There's just way too much tension to have a bent top hold up for very long. There was a bit of this going on in violins 10 years ago or so. They do not hold up and I hope this trend has been abandoned. If these are in fact bent turn and run.

allenhopkins
Jun-04-2007, 3:37pm
There's just way too much tension to have a bent top hold up for very long. They do not hold up and I hope this trend has been abandoned.
You may well be right, but my old Weymann Mandolute had an "induced arch" (bent, rounded) top and it lasted a century. May still be going, for all I know -- I traded it on an Eastman mandola.

Guess it depends on how it's done.

Jim Garber
Jun-04-2007, 3:42pm
Most "flattop" instruments -- even vintage ones -- were built with induced arches. Still they don't sound like carved instruments.

I would think, BTW that these The Loars were built with pressed tops, not carved or even induced arches. Someone may know better than I, of course. Just my guess.

Jim

MikeEdgerton
Jun-04-2007, 4:57pm
I don't know this mandolin from nothin' but there are a lot of old Strad-O-Lin's and Kalamazoo's out there with pressed tops still going strong. With that said I'd probably still opt for an Eastman or one of the other carved top mandolins that can be had for a decent price.

Larry S Sherman
Jun-04-2007, 5:10pm
I played one recently and thought that it sounded very weak and thin, and I would not recommend one to anyone. YMMV.

Larry

wilkie
Jun-07-2007, 1:07pm
Thanks for your comments.I certainly appreciate them. I have talked with Allen Jones about one of his Glenn mandolins and I am having him build me one. After reading all that has been said about his instruments I decided to go with Allen and keep my money in the U.S.