PDA

View Full Version : "cumberland gap"

TommyK
May-30-2007, 4:28pm
I have a question about this song.
I'm currently without access to my "Bluegrass - Complete" song book and had to look up the lyrics on the 'net. There's two songs by this name. One's attributed to Lonnie Donnegan. That's not the one. My question is about the traditional one.

The lyrics say in part:
"Cumberland Gap is a mighty fine place,
three kinds of water to wash your face."

What kinds of water are these three?

"Lay down boys and take a little nap,
fourteen miles to Cumberland Gap."

Does this have a Civil War reference?

There's another line in my book about a particular doctor I've a question on. This verse is not showing up on the 'net so I can't yet ask the question.

Paul Kotapish
May-30-2007, 4:54pm
The Cumberland Gap is sometimes called the Cumberland Water Gap.

Not sure about the meaning of that first verse, but the Cumberland River, Yellow Creek, Powell River, and numerous springs and creeks flow in the area, so maybe that's the reference.

Oddly enough, in some versions of the song that water verse goes:

Cumberland Gap is a terrible place
Ain't no water for to wash your face

The doctor verse is:

The first white man in Cumberland Gap
Was Doctor Walker, an English chap

Dr. Thomas Walker was physician to Thomas Jefferson's father and is credited with "discovering" the Cumberland Gap.

Information about Dr. Thomas Walker (http://www.nps.gov/archive/cuga/walker.htm)

Don't know about the 14-mile reference.

I like the verse found in some settings that goes:

Save my money and buy me a farm
Raise sweet taters as long as your arm

Here's a site with a whole lot of lore and history of the Cumberland Gap. (http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/albion/cumb2.html)

olgraypat
May-31-2007, 3:16pm
Indeed, there is a Thomas Walker High School there now. Don't know if they are the "fighting physicians," or what...perhaps the "Sawbones."

cooper4205
May-31-2007, 3:46pm
the Thomas Walker Pioneers, who just so happen to play sports in the Cumberland District

olgraypat
Jun-01-2007, 9:15am
coop..

I knew you'd have the answer. Feel free to share my suggestion for "fighting physicians" with them. I expect no royalties or other compensation. Also, I'll be glad to design them a logo at no cost. In fact....here's an idea...let's have a contest to see who can design the best logo, and the winner will get a free mandolin...say an Eastman or something like that...No wait...that's been done...or, well, maybe not so much...

cooper4205
Jun-01-2007, 9:19am
Pat-
you know the Times-News sports dept. always comes thru!

well schools out, but next time one of their coaches calls in, I'll run it by 'em (heck a change of mascots might even motivate 'em to win some games.):D

sorry for the high-jack, back to regular programming

Deaf David
Jun-02-2007, 5:53pm
I always heard the song start with words something like:

"Me and my gal and my gal's pap
We all went down to Cumberland Gap."

Is that a different song?

dudlebug23
Jun-02-2007, 8:22pm
The Hackensaw Boys have this verse:

Don't drink my liquor till I get back
Fourteen miles to Cumberland Gap!

Don't know why that one stands out in my head?[/B]

Deaf David
Jun-03-2007, 10:56am
Sounds like its a happening place, but 14 miles from everywhere.

Paul Kotapish
Jun-03-2007, 1:56pm
I always heard the song start with words something like:

"Me and my gal and my gal's pap
We all went down to Cumberland Gap."

Is that a different song?
That's the same one, and most of the many different versions have that verse in common--usually first.

Deaf David
Jun-04-2007, 3:30pm
I have at least a half dozen different recordings of that song and they are all instrumentals--usually at a tempo too fast to sing. I've never heard a recording of the song with vocals.

Yet, I don't think I've ever played it that someone didn't try to sing part of the lyrics.

Paul Kotapish
Jun-04-2007, 4:55pm
I think the bluegrass versions tend to be a lot faster than the old-time settings and are often played as pure instrumentals. There are about 80-some versions listed on iTunes, and many of them have singing. To hear at least a snippit of vocals, check out the setting by Bruce Molsky, Doc Boggs, Ashley & Watson, Woody Guthrie, Frank Proffit, Frank Hutchison, McGee Brothers & Arthur Smith, or the Iron Mountain String Band. Lots of variation in the melodies and structure, but they are mostly the same song. You won't be able to hear much from the little samples available for free, but you'll get a sense of how the words fit in.