PDA

View Full Version : All things 'f'

Jonathan Peck
May-30-2007, 12:53pm
I just learned Beaumont Rag in the key of F and i'm finding that 'F' is a really fun key to play in. I'm searching for more things 'F' and I'm finding slim picking choices. The only thing I've come up with is Rocky Road Blues (Monroe) and Steel Guitar Rag (leftwich), although I gather that RRB is more commonly played in the key of A, there's just way to many 'A' tunes, so's I'm going to eff it up in 'F'

Tom C
May-30-2007, 1:05pm
Try Bb too. New Camp Town Races is my favorite.

Peter Hackman
May-30-2007, 1:10pm
Monroe's Columbia recording was in A - he later rerecorded it
in C on MCA. Beware that F is not really a comfortable key
to sing it in for most singers (if you want some power).

Does Leftwich really play Steel Guitar Rag in F - I believe
Bob Wills' recording was in E (nice key for the saxophone!).

Fisher's Hornpipe is traditionally played in F or D - Edgar Meyer et al
use both keys on Appalachian Journey.

Many waltzes work beautifully in F - Kentucky Waltz (a bit high for the singer;
I sing it in Eb), Tennessee Waltz, Sobre las olas (a k a Over the Waves),
Missouri Waltz (although I prefer D or Eb).

More Monroe: Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, of course, #and Right, Right On.

Jesse McR had one that alternates between A and F I believe,
anyone recall the title?

AlanN
May-30-2007, 1:12pm
Tunes in F

Waltz in Bluegrass (Wakefield)
Flop-eared Mule (Jethro version)
Fisher's Hornpipe
Sweet Ga. Brown

plus plenty of vocal tunes, 2 come to mind:

Wild Flowers for Mary and 14 Carat Mind (both Lost & Found).

AlanN
May-30-2007, 1:15pm
Jesse McR had one that alternates between A and F I believe,
anyone recall the title?
Stoney Creek maybe?

dzen
May-30-2007, 1:26pm
Yup, Stoney Creek. Great tune. I think it's on the Tony Rice "Tony Rice" album, I've never heard Jesse McReynolds' own version. Don't know if it actually changes keys, but Crazy Creek also has a second part with lots of F, after a first part in Am. F is a great vocal key, the "Tony Rice" album also has a great "Hills of Roan County" in F. I think "Hold Whatcha Got" by Jimmy Martin is also on the same album in F.

AlanN
May-30-2007, 1:41pm
Yup, Stoney Creek. #Great tune. #I think it's on the Tony Rice "Tony Rice" album, I've never heard Jesse McReynolds' own version. Don't know if it actually changes keys, but Crazy Creek also has a second part with lots of F, after a first part in Am. F is a great vocal key, the "Tony Rice" album also has a great "Hills of Roan County" in F. I think "Hold Whatcha Got" by Jimmy Martin is also on the same album in F.
Yes, on the 1st TR record. Larry (R.I.P.) picks mandolin on this number and got what I thought was a very hip thing going on it, particularly the B part.

I pick Crazy Creek like this:

AD\AD\AD\CC
CC\CC\CC\EE
EE\AA [2X]

FF\FF\CC\CC
FF\FF\CC\EE
AD\AD\AD\CC
CC\CC\CC\EE
EE\AA

I was at a jam with Jeff Foxall once, I called this tune, Jeff said "That is SO 70's!" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dave Reiner
May-30-2007, 1:49pm
Try Crapshooter's Rag in F (a fine old string band tune).
Also, Margary's Favorite (F and Dm) from Cole's 1001 and Saratoga Hornpipe in F.

Dave

mandoplyr70
May-31-2007, 12:30pm
Im pretty sure Lonesome moonlight waltz is in F http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

cooper4205
May-31-2007, 2:03pm
F is a great vocal key, the "Tony Rice" album also has a great "Hills of Roan County" in F.
not to nitpick, but its "Roane" county

dzen
May-31-2007, 3:26pm
Roane County, huh? I guess that'll teach me to always go with my first guess if there's a question. Darne it anyway.

Scotti Adams
May-31-2007, 3:37pm
F and Bflat are probably my favorite keys to play in..my mando has great tone in these chords. Banks of the Ol Ohio is in F.

cooper4205
May-31-2007, 4:46pm
Roane County, huh? I guess that'll teach me to always go with my first guess if there's a question. Darne it anyway.
I grew up there, that's the only way I'd know (or particularly care http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ).I mean other than Frank Wakefield being born here and that "Bonnie & Clyde" couple a few summers ago, that song is our only claim to fame.

AlanN
May-31-2007, 6:38pm
And Dawggy takes a very nice Dawggy break on it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif