PDA

View Full Version : pickup v. mic

thomasw
Feb-01-2004, 9:52pm
i recently purchased my first mando (just a cheap one), but it is looking like i will have the opportunity to play it in front of some people. i was thinking about trying to get something to amplify the sound and was wondering what i should get. i've thought about an oktava mc012 cardiod condenser mic, thinking that it would be cheaper than a pickup. i checked out elderly, and it looked like there were some pickups in the 100 dollar range. basically, i don't really want to go over 100 bucks. what would you guys recommend?

thanks,

thomas

mando-in-kingwood
Feb-01-2004, 10:56pm
Heard good things about the K&K Mando Twin..........

About $90.

mandroid
Feb-02-2004, 3:04am
Piezo pickups often need help with a preamp. >add more$<
Contact Microphones,1)condenser AKG C411 the less costly generally dont, if you have a Mixer to run thru, just like a freestanding mic.
2)Dynamic Schertler , not cheap at$375, but, no phantom power requirement, no preamp,[as is, the Sound is Great!] and a $15.00 matching transformer converts to 1/4 hiZ to plug into all that sorta stuff,Volume pedal, fuzzwa, acoustic guitar amp directly , and is 'a Keeper' #not installed, to shift to better sounding mandos (and guitars) over time.

Although, You can always 'holler' thru a free-standintg mic too, though,so consider that.condenser are wider frequency response usually.

MadMandoingMax
Feb-03-2004, 8:21am
I play with a mic and the sound is truly amplified acoustic sound. With a electric pickup you are losing sound for the price of volume. If you crave volume, go with a pickup, sound, go with mic.

Bradley
Feb-03-2004, 1:22pm
I have always sworn by the Microphone route as it is true
acoustic sound versus the thin sound of a pickup, even with a good preamp the sound quality isnt close.With all of the pickups I have tried a chop soundslike a dog barking, and with tremolos and doublestops it is very unbalanced. These are Fishman and the McIntyre pickups that I have tried. I will say that a Rigel has the best P/U that I have ever played.

My mike of choice is the AKG pro37R.It is very small and will fit in your case, and provides great range for your mandolin. and costs around $100 dollars.

Good luck in your search

Nolan
Feb-06-2004, 10:44am
I love the way a mandolin sounds through a good mic... I quit using my Mcintyre for that very reason. But I agree with mandroid, if you want a killer pickup the Shertler (sherfler?) pickups sounds awesome. I borrowed one for a loud squaredance we played a few months back and was blown away by how good it sounded. It looks just like the Mcintyre but sounds more like a mic and you can move it between instruments which is cool.