PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Sargeant's Loar

Darryl Wolfe
May-18-2004, 10:37am
I know of it but haven't heard it. I've got some pictures It's a nice Feb 18, 1924

zeke
May-19-2004, 12:14am
I know this instrument rather well actually. I've been afforded the pleasure countless times at festivals to "take her out and open her up for me, Zeke," as well as playing it numerous times at many jams at his home and other places over the years. I trust you're asking about his virzi'd loar, not the one he replaced the top on, right? Very nice instrument, and possibly has the greatest difference between "asleep" and well played (in a very short time) that I've ever experienced. Yet another reason that I consider myself lucky to be his friend.

Mark in Nevada City
May-19-2004, 5:18pm
I played it last year within hours of playing Reischman's. Its a dark "moody" sounding instrument and not particularly loud. Its beautiful in its complexity but not the bluegrass axe you'd expect. Action was set lower than I prefer, and that can make a difference. JR's on the other hand...shiver me timbers! It just about knocked me over. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

cheers, mmm

zeke
May-19-2004, 11:14pm
It's true that John R's is truly a good 'un, to be sure. Especially in his hands. But Cliff's is one of those instruments that when I first start playing it, I'm always a bit dissapointed. It's very nice, but no really big deal. But as a few hours go by, it really opens up, hugely. I listen then and it's a very full complex mando, and I realize (all over again) that this is a great mandolin, with the ability to shape tone in a number of different ways (I have to let it teach me it's own ways once again). It's very cutting without being just loud, one can be heard even through the festival jam/banjo/guitar tsunami.

BTW, going to Father's Day this year, Mark?

Mark in Nevada City
May-20-2004, 3:39pm
Hi zeke,
I'll defer to judgement as you've obviously spent some time playing cliffs mando (I'm jealous) and it was a passing thing for me. Sometimes you can't really grap an instruments personality by playing for a few minutes. I probably just need to sit down and get comfortable with it for a few hours http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Festival, did I hear festival? Yes, I never miss it! BTW we've met before, if just briefly and maybe numerous times (you know that foggy late night "nice to meet you guys" before moving to another circle). I've got a visual from your web site and I'll keep my eye out to say howdy. I play a 1917 F4 (although the dobro's been getting a lot of jam time). Anyway its just a few weeks away (already!) so hopefully we'll get to pick a few.

cheers, mmm

zeke
May-20-2004, 4:07pm
Yeah, I don't think John R's mando ever will have the chance to go to sleep, but Cliff, being 83, just doesn't work it as hard anymore (more's the pity, too). But it does really effect a profound change when brought out of slumber.

Cool. I also have a booth in the Luthier's Pavillion this year and hope to have 5-6 of my own mandos for test driving as well as a few others for sale. And my buddy Todd Clinesmith will be displaying his hand mande reso's as well. Double treats! There's a ton of folks that I've played with and could recognise their faces, but for the life of me, couldn't get close to their name (age is such a terrible thing, ain't it?). I look forward to re-aquainting ourselves and splitting a few tunes and such. As you said, just a short spell away, so I'd better get another coat of varnish on while the gettings good.