PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner instrument?

gregjones
May-27-2007, 9:11pm
I got a second chance offer from the seller to buy this for $86.47.

Is this a good buy for a guitarist looking to learn mandolin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....CO:US:1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320119948745&sspagename=ADME:B:SCO:US:1)

Thanks!!

kirkw101
May-27-2007, 9:23pm
to me yes it does look like a decent starter mandolin.
and if you enjoy playing it after a while a new bridge is less than 20 bucks and when put on right it will back a nice improvement.

have fun and do not mind the purist that pop up from time to time.
kirk

Lee Callicutt
May-27-2007, 9:32pm
I have no personal experience with that particular model Washburn, but my Washburn is well made and plays well and sounds good to me.

I'm guessing you know by now that any instrument that makes you want to pick it up and play is a good starter! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

The price looks good, and if I I hadn't already bought another cheapie, I might consider it myself. The seller's feedback looked good.

By way of comparison, Janet Davis sells that model new at $149.00, I believe, if that perspective helps.

jk245
May-27-2007, 10:28pm
From personal experience with instruments of that price range, you can get a dramatic improvement in sound by

>change the strings to $10 D 'Addario EXP74 or J series strings, or similar

>get a tortus pick- a B 'second' might be available from Dave at redbeartrading.com (or use one of the other high price picks like Dawg or Wegens).

Usually these mandos have good action but a weak resonance, meaning sound duration and warmth.

>The idea of changing the bridge might be a good idea, but, first try it out for awhile. The change and setup is easy for a beginner, see
http://folkofthewood.com/page2449.htm

F5G WIZ
May-28-2007, 12:20am
Just a heads up? Many of those second chance offers are fake.

Soupy1957
May-28-2007, 5:48am
I bought a "like new" Epiphone MM-50 that has been good to me. Got no complaints regarding it, and I would suspect that, as long as the basic condition is good, (no wharp or cracking), why not try it out for a "starter?!"

-Soupy1957

B. T. Walker
May-28-2007, 6:52am
Get it a good set up, and it will probably be a fine starter instrument. If you hang onto it for very long, however, MAS will attack, and then it will be a fine fireside beater.

F5G-WIZ is right to warn you about e-bay second offers. Caveat Emptor.

Tim2723
May-28-2007, 7:38am
I play around with one of these at my local shop. Once set up it's a perfectly good starter. Be careful on e-bay, and have fun with it.

Richard Russell
May-28-2007, 7:56am
I have one of the MM-30s and I really like it. I think it's a great beginner instrument. It has a solid top, but laminated sides and back. Mine plays nice and I think the tone is overall good for an instrument in this price range. I started out on a Fender 52E model, the acoustic/electric model they make and the epi is much louder and richer in tone than the Fender. I paid around $130 brand new for mine and I feel that was a bargain. This one looks like a great deal, if everything is as promised.

MikeEdgerton
May-28-2007, 8:06am
That looks more like an Epiphone than a Washburn. Am I missing something?

Those Epi's stamped "Used" were all over eBay a while back from a few dealers in of all places Tennessee. I'm gonna assume they were seconds released into the wild by Gibson because they had some sort of flaw, probably cosmetic. Most of the guys selling them were shops and they didn't just have one they had many. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.

I too would caution the second chance offers but you can verify it's real by going to your My eBay page and checking your messages. If it's in that message queue it came through eBay. If you haven't jumped by now the guy may have sent offers to the rest of the bidders and also be advised that you can send second chance offers to more than one person at a time.

gregjones
May-28-2007, 10:19am
Thanks for all the quick and informative responses.

The only reason I'd consider an e-bay second offer is because it came thru my messages on e-bay and the seller has a 350+ feedback rating that is 100% positive. Never hurts to be careful.

As your responses state----I guess a $150 dollar mandolin is just that, no matter how cheap you get it. I haven't bought a new guitar in almost thirty-three years and would never buy one for $150 off e-bay. You all showed me that the same goes in the mandolin world.

I play acoustic blues with bare fingers on the guitar, so I didn't have anything for a mandolin. I already bought some scale/chord books and some Dawg picks to start getting used to. All I needed was a mandolin!!

I'm gonna pass on this new one. After several helpful e-mails back and forth (more pictures, history, etc.), I have agreed to buy the 20's oval hole Washburn from the classified ads.

Thanks to all for your help.

Greg

Lee Callicutt
May-28-2007, 12:23pm
That looks more like an Epiphone than a Washburn. Am I missing something?
Near as I can tell, no. I just spazzed out. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Lee
May-29-2007, 5:21pm
Greg, the arched top mandolin or guitar is inherently a more expensive beast than a flat top. Hence your money doesn't go as far. If a $150 guitar scares you away, then you made a much better choice with the vintage mandolin off our Classifieds. Good move!

Elliot Luber
May-31-2007, 9:17pm
Most important thing about buying an inexpensive mandolin is to be sure it is set up properly. Any half decent instrument can be made to sound okay, and any good instrument can be made to sound terrible by an inexperienced technician.

gregjones
Jun-09-2007, 7:09pm
Greg, the arched top mandolin or guitar is inherently a more expensive beast than a flat top. #Hence your money doesn't go as far. #If a $150 guitar scares you away, then you made a much better choice with the vintage mandolin off our Classifieds. #Good move!
How right you were!!!

I got the little thing the other day. Fantastic, and I'm lovin' every minute I get with it.

I had ordered John McGann's "Sound Fundamentals" DVD to prevent the development of bad habits and have been having fun since the instrument arrived.

Now that I've got my first tune down and am working on my second, practicing is not so cumbersome and can only get better as I do.