PDA

View Full Version : Korg v. intlli

recon
May-27-2007, 8:54pm
I've read some of the previous threads on tuners, but I only saw one post addressing my question. I'm trying to decide between buying the clip-on mic for my Korg CA-30 or just buying a new clip-on tuner such as the Intlli-500. I'm mainly looking for feedback about how well the Korg mic works in a noisy environment. That is, does the mic eliminate the problem of tuning while other instruments are playing?
Scott

allenhopkins
May-27-2007, 9:25pm
I use the CA-30 with a clip-on and it works wonderfully, even in fairly noisy situations. Having said that, it's a lot more bother to set up than a completely clip-on tuner -- you have to set the tuner down somewhere, plug in the clip-on, attach it to your instrument (I clip it to one of the tuning pegs, so I then have to move it when I tune that particular string). I've also used Intellitouch clip-on tuners, and they work decently as well.

I think the Korg with the clip-on is more responsive and accurate, but there is a definite trade-off in terms of fiddling around* with tuner and instrument.

* Not that I have a fiddle...

B. T. Walker
May-28-2007, 7:12am
I've been very satisfied with my intelli-500. Easy to use, accurate enough for my ears, and not too expensive. Don't miss plugging into a tuner in the least.

Bob DeVellis
May-28-2007, 1:36pm
Having tried a bunch of options, I find I like the Seiko STX the best. Small, convenient, accurate, and user-friendly. YMMV.

8ch(pl)
May-28-2007, 4:27pm
I clamp on oe of the treble side tuner buttons, tune the bass side, then switch to tune the treble side. The jack-wire-clamp attachment works fine.

mandodan1960
May-28-2007, 5:03pm
I second the Seiko STX my neighbor has one that is far more stable than the Seiko model that I bought with the metronome I can't hear. (Which I can't find and don't really care or I would give you the model number) I use a mic clip with a Sabine (Nextune 12z) which works good.
My next clip on will be the STX. No experience with the intellitouch except I have heard people complain the it does not stay on.

B. T. Walker
May-28-2007, 5:14pm
There is a difference between Intellitouch (which I agree does not have a large clip to grip the mandolin -- made in the USA) and the intelli (which does -- made in South Korea).

MikeEdgerton
May-28-2007, 5:20pm
There is a difference between Intellitouch (which I agree does not have a large clip to grip the mandolin -- made in the USA) and the intelli (which does -- made in South Korea).
Yes there is. With the Intelli you can actually tune an instrument.

eightstrings
May-28-2007, 5:49pm
Yes there is. With the Intelli you can actually tune an instrument.
HAHA! Well put! I've had an intellitouch for a couple years now and it's pissed me off more than tuned my instruments. I'm about to buy a Korg or Intelli to replace it.

mandodan1960
May-28-2007, 5:53pm
oops I ###-umed again sorry.

OregonMike
May-29-2007, 9:37pm
Yes there is. With the Intelli you can actually tune an instrument.[/QUOTE]
HAHA! Well put! I've had an intellitouch for a couple years now and it's pissed me off more than tuned my instruments. I'm about to buy a Korg or Intelli to replace it.[/quote]

Ditto - what's up with the Intellitouch?

Mine is useless for mando also - OnBoard Research seems like a good US company - is this particular tuner better suited to other instruments besides mando?

I don't like it on my fiddle either. I also have one of their Center Pitch Universals that does a better job.

Cheers,

Mike
1916 Pumpkintop Paddlehead
1924 Blackface Snakehead
www.MusicMoose.org

MikeEdgerton
May-29-2007, 10:21pm
When they were the only game in town I put up with the Intellitouch. That harmonic thing on the E string where it showed as a B on the guitar always made me crazy. Now I have two that are just sitting in a drawer.

Clyde Clevenger
May-30-2007, 12:27am
I have both. I use the Intelli for jams and around the house and the Korg CA 30 with iso-clip for gigs and when I change strings. I like them both.

fredfrank
May-30-2007, 7:26am
I was at a jam over the weekend and a lot of people were using the Intelli 500. My banjo has a Korg AW1 set up on it, and I found that the two tuners do not agree on pitch. I find that if you are playing with a bunch who are using the Intelli 500, you should probably have one so you can tune the same as the rest of the group.

MikeEdgerton
May-30-2007, 7:34am
I was at a jam over the weekend and a lot of people were using the Intelli 500. My banjo has a Korg AW1 set up on it, and I found that the two tuners do not agree on pitch. I find that if you are playing with a bunch who are using the Intelli 500, you should probably have one so you can tune the same as the rest of the group.
I always try to get the entire band to use the same tuner no matter what the brand.

Jim Broyles
May-30-2007, 7:58am
I'd bet that someone had accidentally switched the calibration on his tuner. I'm not saying that the banjo player was the culprit, but I'll let you draw your own conclusion. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

tnpathfinder
May-30-2007, 8:21am
I have a CA30 with the clip, it is way more accurate than the Intelli 500. However, the I500 is very convenient while jamming. I acutally sold my I500 because I felt it could not hit the sweet spot on my mandolin. Our guitar player has a AW1 and it is nice but man, in the dark it is usless. I asked Korg if they where considering a backlit model. Answer: Not any time soon. I think I'm going to check out this Seiko tuner.

Jerry Byers
May-30-2007, 8:30am
I use a Korg TM-40 (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/KTM40.htm) and it picks a lot of ambient noise. I now use it with a Peterson pickup and it's extremely accurate, even in a noisy room.

Md_Mando
May-31-2007, 11:00am
Re: the Korg vs Intelli discussion.

I was using the Korg GA-30 guitar/bass tuner for the mando and found that it was picking up everything under the sun. The needle on the screen was "twitchy" (that's a technical term;-) ) and tuning was a pita. It uses an on-board microphone.

I bought the Intelli from Shar after reading some of the comments here on the board and love how easy it is to tune the mando now. The dispay is very stable and the needle display won't move to pitch until the string actually hits the right spot. Many thanks to the board members who go out and get stuff, try it out and pass on their findings.

Don

ApK
Jun-05-2007, 10:18am
Just for the record, I got my Intelli this week and have tried it on my guitars (not the mando yet.)
My initial experience is "Meh." #It works ok. #My Intellitouch will still remain my primary guitar tuner. #The Intelli is certainly no less finicky than my Intellitouch, and it is harder to position where I can see it clearly. #Plus it feels very cheap compared to the Intellitouch. #Time well tell if that feeling corresponds to actual lack of durability or not, but my Intellitouch, with it's less beefy-LOOKING clip has not failed yet after years of use.
As for tuning accuracy and precision, I can only say that both of them give me a guitar that consistantly sounds fine, and doesn't clash with my other instruments. #I'm not equiped to form a more detailed opinion.
The Intelli is less expensive and smaller...those are both nice features. #I may move it to the mando case, and move my Seiko STX-1, which has a much more positionable clip, to the guitar.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2007, 10:30am
Move the Intelli to the back of the headstock and you you should be able to see it.

ApK
Jun-05-2007, 10:45am
I do use it on the back of the headstock, but the letters are sideways. It has one less axis of roation then the Seiko and the Intellitouch, I think. I think I'll like it better on the smaller mando.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2007, 11:09am
I have no problem with the letters being sideways. My brain has been able to adjust to that, unlike other things that I can't adjust to. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bradeinhorn
Jun-05-2007, 11:13am
like the dreaded B# readout?

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2007, 11:15am
Yeah, like that. I just couldn't adjust to that.

eightstrings
Jun-05-2007, 11:54am
Anyone use the Korg AW-1 clip on tuner? It looks nice. I've seen some pros sing them live.

Md_Mando
Jun-05-2007, 1:30pm
Re: '... the dreaded B# readout'

I've seen that! I thought it was just commenting on my wardrobe...

Don

Brad Weiss
Jun-05-2007, 1:36pm
Anyone use the Korg AW-1 clip on tuner? #It looks nice. #I've seen some pros sing them live.
I do- I like it a LOT. #Much more sensitive and - I think- accurate than my Intellitouch. #YMMV.

Crowder
Jun-05-2007, 4:53pm
I have used an Intellitouch for a couple of years and just ordered an Intelli 500 this week after trying one in a store. I think I will like the lighter weight for sure--that's the one thing I really can't stand about the Intellitouch on a mandolin. I'll likely leave the bigger tuner in my guitar case and use the 500 with the mandolin.

ApK
Jun-08-2007, 9:23pm
Just for the record, again, I REALLY like the 500 on the mando. #Works perfectly and the size and position match is just spot on. Like it was made for it. #Moved the STX1 to the upstairs guitar and I'm now a very happy camper.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-10-2007, 9:05pm
Anyone use the Korg AW-1 clip on tuner? It looks nice. I've seen some pros sing them live.
I can now say yes to that question. I bought one at a festival this week because, well, just because. Decent tuner but right off you need to know there's no backlight and if you play a night jam or a dark bar it's worthless.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out how to do a test of the Intellitouch, Intelli, Seiko and AW-1 tuner as I now own all of them. perhaps I'll tune my mandolin using my trusty old benchtop Korg and then clip each tuner on the headstock and see how they read.

RobP
Jun-11-2007, 2:27am
Plus the intelli drops easily into the pick compartment in a mando case. Never found a good way to stow the intellitouch in the mando case.

I bought one for both of my mandolins. The intellitouch stays with the lonely guitar.

Cheers,

Rob

dcc
Jun-11-2007, 2:59am
intelli is easier to clip to a mando, but dang, the buttons are cheap and they rattle if you leave it clipped to the headstock while playing for easy re-tuning later. #(easily remedied by taking it apart and slipping in a little strip of rubberband as a gasket type thing to keep the buttons still.) # #ah well. #at least it doesn't seem likely to fall off.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-11-2007, 7:53am
Not all of the Intelli's do that. I have several that don't. I did however see one that did. If I can get one that does rattle I'll take them apart and compare them.

John Flynn
Jun-11-2007, 8:28am
I have both an Intellitouch and two Intelli's, as well as some non-clip-on tuners. The Intelli's do have a brighter, easier to read display and they appear to lock up quicker, but I find that deceptive. I can get a string pair to show both in tune on the Intelli, even using the harmonic, but they aren't in tune. With the Intellitouch, I have to work a lot harder to get the strings to show in tune, but when the display finally does show in tune, they are in tune.

In general, I don't find the clip ons as accurate as the better non-clip-on tuners. I have a Seiko model that is no longer made, but it was replaced by the current ST-1100. That thing puts the clip-ons to shame for accuaracy, and I am sure there are strobe tuners that go farther still.

I think the bottom line is that the best use of a tuner to get you in the ballpark, but you use your ear to actually get in tune. On stage, you can also use a clip-on to make quick corrections when you can hear that a string is out, but you don't have the "quiet time" to really get it back by ear.

red7flag
Jun-13-2007, 10:17am
I have both. I like the convenience of the Intelli, but in noisy situations, it seems to have trouble picking up the 4th string on the mando. I find the Korg CA-30 is a bit more accurate, while not as convenient to use.
Tony

Crowder
Jun-14-2007, 9:14pm
One drawback I've found to the Intelli is that the rubber feet leave an "afterimage" on my varnished mandolin. It's relatively easy to rub the trace images off, but it still makes me worry so I won't be using on my mandolin. It'll stay with my laquer-finished guitar.

red7flag
Jun-15-2007, 9:38am
While I was at the First Quality booth at last years Merlefest, I bought a Peterson TP-2 Tuning Pickup. It plugs into the Korg CA-30 then easily clips on the the headstock of any mandolin. The clip is plastic with soft rubber pads that do no damage to the headstock. It is unlike the aligator clip with the Iso-clip that sometimes can be difficult to clip on the tuning pegs. While you would think that the firmer attaching Iso-clip would provide a better signal than the Peterson TP-2, I have seen no difference in the ability to tune accurately with either using the Korg CA-30. You can buy the Peterson TP-2 Tuning Pickup for 12.95 at First Quality http://www.fqms.com As you can tell, I recomment this product. No financial involvement.
Tony

dcc
Sep-25-2007, 2:47am
Plus the intelli drops easily into the pick compartment in a mando case. Never found a good way to stow the intellitouch in the mando case.

I bought one for both of my mandolins. The intellitouch stays with the lonely guitar.

Cheers,

Rob
i retract about the intelli's... the precision on mine (and maybe since the one i bought required a kluge a gasket to stop it from rattling is defective but you'd think QA would catch that before it shipped) is the pits. sure you can see the nice little needle, sure it fits in the case, but the pitch it indicates as being in tune is pretty darn various. (better than nothing if you're in a noisy place and can't hear yourself to tune, both otherwise useless. well, i did use the clip to keep some music from blowing off the stand. but that makes it an expensive clothes pin.)

i am returning to my tuning fork. (and intellitouch for noisy places where the fork won't work.)

as for how to get an intellitouch into a mandocase: forget storing it in the long case it comes with, fold it into the 90 degree angle position, and it fits just fine in a typical itty bitty case compartment. depending on how high your case is, it might fit unfolded, inside its long vinyl case, behind the headstock.

Jim Hilburn
Sep-25-2007, 9:04am
What I've found with the Intelli is that it will show each string of a pair being dead on when you can hear they aren't. It seems as though the incremental amount before it will show flat or sharp is quite large.
This wouldn't be noticed as much with a guitar but when you have 2 identical strings to tune it is quite noticable.

Michael Cameron
Sep-25-2007, 6:20pm
Jim Hillburn,Are you stil making those kickin' mandos!?

Yes,Intelli vs.Korg...geez,in th past 15 yrs or so I have used almost everyting that's come out(I have a "collection" including a breadbox-sized Peterson strobe Model 490;those spinning wheels make me dizzy!) er

Clip-ons are working for me;the Korg AW-1 seems to be most accurate;I don't really miss not having it light up. They are fragile;my buddy ripped the head off of one while checking it out. Teeny wires poured forth...

The Intelli seems close enough for bluegrass http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif,it's handy,and lights up,and it's durable enough.
I really have trouble tuning without electronic help;esp. when any other noises are around.(like electric fans)...
c

Jim Hilburn
Sep-25-2007, 6:24pm
Cameron, I'm still making them.
Want one?

Michael Cameron
Sep-25-2007, 6:54pm
Hey Jim,sorry I don't know how to PM you;so,yes,in fact I'd like two;but, alas,I am unable to buy one at this time.
I've heard tons of good comments on your instruments! They sure look GREAT too.
How many have you done so far?
c

foldedpath
Sep-26-2007, 12:07pm
While I was at the First Quality booth at last years Merlefest, I bought a Peterson TP-2 Tuning Pickup. It plugs into the Korg CA-30 then easily clips on the the headstock of any mandolin. The clip is plastic with soft rubber pads that do no damage to the headstock. It is unlike the aligator clip with the Iso-clip that sometimes can be difficult to clip on the tuning pegs.

Why not just clip the TP-2 to the bridge, where it can get a stronger and more direct signal? That's what I do with the TP-2 that came with my Stroboflip; clipping it sideways to the treble side of the bridge, with the cord hanging down. Aside from a more direct signal, there are no worries about marking up or imprinting a soft finish.

bjc
Sep-26-2007, 12:14pm
I just got a "Play-On" clip on that has a mic and a setting for violin....the thing works great and it was $24...next pay day I'm buying a second one...