PDA

View Full Version : Mandlin meets tree

bgjunkie
May-22-2007, 9:15pm
I have been reluctant to post a picture of my mandolin being that it is only an F-9 (by that I mean nothing glamorous to look at), but I spotted this wonderful tree in Centennial Park here in Nashville and couldn't pass up the photo op.

bgjunkie
May-22-2007, 9:20pm
Here is another with a better view of the tree.

ronlane3
May-22-2007, 9:47pm
Very nice.

pjlama
May-23-2007, 12:56am
Cool pics, I think the F9 is a fine looking instrument and they sound good too.

Bertram Henze
May-23-2007, 6:43am
So that's what it looks like when the tree fairy rocks her baby... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

You don't have to be shy just because your mandolin does not look like a christmas tree - real beauty can afford simplicity, and that is one.

Bertram

MikeEdgerton
May-23-2007, 6:52am
In my book the F9 and the A9 have their own beauty. I love the way they look.

bgjunkie
May-23-2007, 9:11am
Don't get me wrong Mike, I love the look of my F-9. In fact, I think Gibson messed up the F-9 by adding the sunburst.

Jonathan Peck
May-23-2007, 1:33pm
I bet that tree has some mighty fine burl blanks in it. Looks like a great pickin' tree with plenty of spots to set down a cup of coffee or other beverage type pickin' accessories.

craigmurray
May-23-2007, 1:54pm
Here is a photo of my F-9 inspired Heiden. I love the look of the old F-9s, and simply got Michael to tweek that look into my ultimate mandolin by adding a slight burst, an ebony pickguard/tuner buttons, and a black nut. Esthetically I think these old F-9s are fantastic, the new ones... not so much.

ronlane3
May-23-2007, 7:18pm
Craig, That looks really sweet. What tuners and where did you get the buttons?

MikeEdgerton
May-23-2007, 7:56pm
In fact, I think Gibson messed up the F-9 by adding the sunburst.
I agree with you on that.

craigmurray
May-23-2007, 7:59pm
Hey Ron - they are Waverlies with ebony buttons (that came with them). #

bgjunkie - i was not trying to hijack your thread, but highlight that the (old) F-9s are great looking mandolins in my opinion - you might be right that it isn't "glamorous", but that is not a word that I would want someone to use to desribe my mandolin. #Great photos.
Craig

bgjunkie
May-23-2007, 9:41pm
No problem Craig. Your Heiden is a great looking mandolin. I like the real suttle burst. It gives it some depth with the glossier finish.

ronlane3
May-24-2007, 7:56am
Yeah sorry about that getting off track. I have an F-9 as well and am always looking for ebony buttons to fit on my grover tuners. I have an older F-9 that is solid chocolate like yours and I like those better than the burst ones too.

craigmurray
May-24-2007, 9:07am
I too was always looking for ebony buttons for my old Breedlove. If you do a search you will find a lot of posts in the past in which people ask about them (one started by me!). I didn't ever make the change. I think the old F-9s would look much sharper with ebony buttons (and a black nut for that matter). Heiden used bakelite for my nut. It sounded like I was the first to ask him for a black nut.