PDA

View Full Version : Single mic question

MikeEdgerton
May-22-2007, 8:25am
I had planned on buying an AT4033 to single Mic our band but it appears they are no longer available. Has anyone used the AT4040 or the AT4033CL? Does anyone know what the CL means on that AT4033CL? It appears to be about $100.00 more than the original AT4033.

Windflite
May-22-2007, 8:35am
Hi Mike. #We've used the AT4040 with great success both live and in the studio. #A HUGE step above the similiarly shaped and spec'd import knock offs that Musicians Friend regularly advertises. #For the studio at least, a nice clean preamp also helps!

MikeEdgerton
May-22-2007, 8:39am
Thanks Andy. We've actually been using the "knock off" MXL 990's with success, I'd just like to get to a better mic. I inquired about this last year and had decided on the AT4033 (based on recommendations here) but never got around to buying one. Thanks for the word on the AT4040.

Windflite
May-22-2007, 8:45am
No Prob Mike. #We also used the Marshalls! #At that price how can you NOT try 'em! #In fact, we had several extras just in case one died...kinda like disposable razors! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif# #Now (when using condensors) we mic up with the AT4040 for vocals and Octava's for lead breaks. #My wife says is sounds 'cleaner'...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

MikeEdgerton
May-22-2007, 8:48am
Well, if your wife says it's better it has to be http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bradeinhorn
May-22-2007, 8:51am
mike-you will really like the 4033. my band used them for performing - till we gave up on the one mic(ish) set up - and to record our album. ebay has some great deals.

Kevin K
May-22-2007, 10:13am
I have a used AT4040 that I need to sell. I bought two and just need one.
Contact me and we'll work something out.
Thanks,
Kevin

Snakebeard Jackson
May-22-2007, 12:13pm
What to know something funny. My old band used the AT4033 mic and the MXL. We would set both up and play. That cheeper MXL held its own with the 4033 every time! In fact our singers used to like to sing into the MXL better. My fiddle player and I would turn to the 4033 for our breaks more often. Those MXL mics are great mics. I don't know about a studio setting, but for a live show thier fine.

tterral
May-22-2007, 12:16pm
We use a Shure KSM 27 that we like alot. We turn the high end down a couple of dBs on the board, since the mic is a little bright. Reasonably priced and works great.

Jim Broyles
May-22-2007, 12:22pm
If you're interested, there are a bunch of 4033's on the 'Bay.

MWM
May-22-2007, 12:46pm
I've used 4033's quite a bit and recommend them. Another good one to consider is the AT-3035 which is a bit less pricey and delivers excellent sound. I own two and like them although the suspension mount isn't as nice.

Pete Martin
May-22-2007, 10:19pm
Although it is more pricey, a lot of top bands use the Shure KSM44.

MikeEdgerton
May-23-2007, 6:59am
As much as I'd like to have the KSM44 it's two and an a half time the price of the AT's. The specs don't say anything about phantom power on that Mic. How is it powered?

Brian Ray
May-23-2007, 7:09am
Back to your question... I think the CL might stand for "Classic"? #I think, they discontinued the 4033, then reissued it with the CL on the end. A more knowledgeable mic historian will hopefully correct me... I mean, how is it possible that there's a mic thread and Spruce hasn't commented yet ;)

MikeEdgerton
May-23-2007, 7:27am
If I recall the 4033 and the 4033CL were both out at the same time. The 4033 at the time was 299.99, the CL was 399.00 even then.

TonyP
May-23-2007, 9:48am
Mike, as a long time 4033 user(I have one of the first ones when they came out) it's like how I try to talk people out of buying VW bugs for their kids. It's a great setup, done right, but it has it's drawbacks. Some folks just don't want to have to deal. With the right attitude/knowledge and outboard equipment, you can make it work great.
BTW all the AT condenser's I've used need to get their phantom power from the mixer. And it needs 48v, some mixer's have less than that for some reason unknown.
I would hope you got to use the setup someplace, dialed in, so that's why you are wanting to go this route. It takes a lot of choreography with what way the necks, and who's going to go where, and don't mind rubbing elbows.
In the highend community the 4033 is not very revered, and I would venture to say Das, that's why Spruce ain't here. I've played through the KSM's, 27-44 and liked them, but no better than the 4033. I've also played and recorded through the MXL's and while they are amazing for the price, compared to the 4033, I found them lacking.
There are several 4033's on *bay right now, at varying prices. I personally have bought my 4050 and a bunch of other stuff off there and had great luck.
Also, my 4033 has been a road mic way more than it's been used for a studio mic. And except for one time it didn't like the wiring in someone's gazebo(it refused to work, never done it since. We ended up using my Oktava 012 in place of it, and it worked great)it's been a workhorse. VMMV

MikeEdgerton
May-23-2007, 9:53am
I've seen that Phantom power issue. We had a mixer that put out 24 volts and when we upgraded we made sure we got the 48 volts. We've been using the MXL 990 and a friends 4033. We've got the choreography down.

mandopete
May-23-2007, 9:59am
I'll throw my 2 cents into this pot....

I have and have used an AT-4033 in a bluegrass music, single mic application extensively. #As Tony says it's a good mic provided you get it set up properly. #To a large extent that means EQ to me and I found it to be a little thin sounding until you do some adjusting. #

I have used a KSM-44 to record and I find it to be a little warmer and perhaps a bit more responsive. #If I ever go back to single mic set-up I intend to go with the Shure mic. #Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive, but I like the fact that it has switchable patterns and so far it's worked great as recording mic (for a whole band).

moku9
May-23-2007, 11:07am
Another plug for the 3035 as a great starting place if budget is an issue.

Jim Broyles
May-23-2007, 11:31am
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica-AT3035-Studio-Condenser-Microphone_W0QQitemZ170104013031QQihZ007QQcateg
oryZ133009QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Here's a good deal on a 3035 </a>

mandroid
May-23-2007, 12:02pm
FWIW, I've seen 2 LD cardoid mics on the same stand, work well.
allows a range of sound pattern width adjustment, lessens traffic jams a bit.