PDA

View Full Version : 1925 a-4 snakehead

carleshicks
May-20-2007, 5:37pm
Did they sell Gibson Mandolins In the Wards Catalogs back in the 1920's? I just got the original case for My A-4 from My dad today and the original pricetag was in the case as well as a a Wards Envolope with the cas key in it. I will post some pics of it later tonight. I know my dad got the mandolin from the original owner back in the 70's. The owner lived near us In Battle Creek Michigan just a few miles from Kalamazoo so I can't imagine him ordering through a catalog when a 15 minute drive could get one from the factory.

mythicfish
May-20-2007, 8:04pm
"I can't imagine him ordering through a catalog when a 15 minute drive could get one from the factory. "

My understanding of Gibson's early marketing practices tells me that their mandolins were sold/distributed soley through individual agents who were mandolin/music teachers. I'm not sure if this practice continued into the '20s.
This information probably came to me from an internet source and I welcome any correction in this matter.

Curt

mandroid
May-20-2007, 10:55pm
Airline [wards] and Silvertone [sears] were along the Kay and Harmony sort of build quality, as I recall.

bradeinhorn
May-21-2007, 7:15am
Check out the gibson recording king banjo in the middle of this page:
right here (http://www.mugwumps.com/ad_list.html)

Looks like gibson was building economy models for wards. maybe that's how it happened.

It looks like thirties kalamazoos were sold at wards too (scroll down to the middle of this one):
kalamazoo (http://littlebrotherblues.com/4sale/index.html)

sure it is the original case and not one of these?

MikeEdgerton
May-21-2007, 8:27am
Airline [wards] and Silvertone [sears] were along the Kay and Harmony sort of build quality, as I recall.

The Airline brand name wasn't used by Wards until years after this mandolin was made.

Gibson built Recording King brand instruments (Not all of the Recording Kings were built by Gibson) in the mid-30's for Wards.

The Kalamazoo brand name didn't apppear for several years after this instrument was made. Gibson did produce Kalamazoo as a line that didn't have to be sold through Gibson dealers.

With that said Gibson (as I understand it) did have a dealer network though retailers as well as the music teachers. I doubt he could have purchased it at the factory.

I'm more inclined to think that he took an envelope that couldn't be used for anything else (other than sending something to Montgomery Wards) and put the key in it.

carleshicks
May-21-2007, 10:20pm
Airline [wards] and Silvertone [sears] were #along the Kay and Harmony #sort of build quality, #as I recall.

The Airline brand name wasn't used by Wards until years after this mandolin was made.

Gibson built Recording King brand instruments (Not all of the Recording Kings were built by Gibson) in the mid-30's for Wards.

The Kalamazoo brand name didn't apppear for several years after this instrument was made. Gibson did produce Kalamazoo as a line that didn't have to be sold through Gibson dealers.

With that said Gibson (as I understand it) did have a dealer network though retailers as well as the music teachers. I doubt he could have purchased it at the factory.

I'm more inclined to think that he took an envelope that couldn't be used for anything else (other than sending something to Montgomery Wards) and put the key in it.
you are probaably right.