PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist "d" log

Roadbike61
May-19-2007, 4:39pm
interested in how many Gilchrist "D" log mandolins are out there and the tonal qualities. I believe these were made in 2003 and are suppose to be some Steve's finest sounding instruments. I'm curious on how many there really are and what the owners and others think of them. I think the "D" log is a Michigan log 300-400 years old..is this correct? Thanks!

Hans
May-19-2007, 6:51pm
Oh boy, this ought to be good... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Roadbike61
May-20-2007, 3:00pm
C'mon someone respond....

Joe Parker
May-20-2007, 5:13pm
Pass the popcorn,please.Next topic....

JPP

SternART
May-20-2007, 5:13pm
I'll pass on the popcorn....

I've heard of the "D" log Steve has been workin' from.....don't know the exact particulars except it is very hard rock maple, and if I'm not mistaken instruments using this wood for backs goes beyond the 2003 date, and can be more recent. I do know that among Gilchrist fanatics there is a certain reverence for these particular instruments. From my experience there are stellar Gilchrist instruments from any era.....I think he really hit his stride in the mid 90's and most of them are darn good man'alins. Of course there are always pick of the litter mandos, but I think getting them played in is part of the program. I almost gave up on my 2001 #509 Artist model.....same batch as Compton's #500 that he played for a few years before trading it back to Steve for a different one....I think Steve plays it now himself. I whupped on mine for years & always felt there was more in it. I recently sent it to Roger Siminoff for dedamping and darn if it didn't work, I'm so pleased I didn't let this one go.....it has finally blossomed into a truly exceptional, as well as balanced instrument. BTW to the best of my knowledge it isn't "D" log, so it is before that era.

KenR
May-20-2007, 5:34pm
SternART, please expand on dedamping. Thanks. - Ken

Roadbike61
May-20-2007, 6:05pm
I would like to about the dedamping also...thanks

SternART
May-20-2007, 6:11pm
I've written about this in a few other threads......

Roger does a 2 part treatment, starting with running this rig pictured for 3 days straight. It strums thru the strings with a credit card type material. Then he measures the resonant frequency of the cavity, back, bass bar & treble bar, and excites the wood at certain frequencies, for like 8 hours continuous at each, if I recall correctly. This is more often done in violin luthiery circles.....I've heard about guitars being vibrated as well. There are links to books & papers on the subject linked from the bottom of Simonoff's web page. I think Gianni Violins does some dedamping in his mando voodoo process. I suspect it relaxes the wood & finish in some way, that opens up the sound like it is more played in. I whooped on my Gil for a coupla years & the red spruce & rock maple was so hard & I have a coupla instruments, so it wasn't getting played in...... you could tell there was more in the mando, but it still seemed stiff. No longer the case, it has evolved nicely in the right direction, based on my observations & I think I have a good ear & know the instrument well, but YMMV.

http://www.siminoff.net/pages/siminoff_parts9.break-in.html

There are links at the bottom leading to some interesting stuff.

I just bought a book titled: How to Improve the Resonance Conditions of Musical Instruments by Vibration-Dedamping, by Prof. Gergard A. v. Reumont, translated from the German by Lothar Tews, President, Michigan Violin Makers Assn. Some interesting info on the subject in there as well....

Hans
May-20-2007, 6:16pm
The "D-log" was found fossilized in the Ark. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Actually, It's just a pretty log of flamed sugar maple. I seriously doubt that it has any special properties other than it's hard, well seasoned, and has nice broken flame.
More important than spinning some mystique about a log used for backs on mandolins are the graduations and other construction parameters.
The species of spruce determines the fundementalness or complexity of the tone, while the back material modifies it. Hard red spruce and dense sugar maple give that characteristic Gilchrist tone. A lot of the edge comes from the hardness of that maple.
I have the "eBay-log" (eat your hearts out) of sugar maple (believe it to be 3-4 years old), and while I use Italian spruce on the top of my Eclipse's, they also have that edgy sound.

Hans
May-20-2007, 6:17pm
The "eBay-log"...

SternART
May-20-2007, 7:07pm
Hans.......Was that Noah's Ark or Ark of the Covenant?
Ark of the Covenant was supposed to be made of Acacia
is that a good tone wood?

I'll bet that eBay log is good, but does it have a cult following yet?

Hans
May-20-2007, 8:34pm
Hey Arthur, better make it Noah's...it's older that way.
Thought acacia was a bug.
Cult following? Why yes, the Illuminati... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

SternART
May-20-2007, 8:56pm
If I have it right.....The Hebrew Bible describes the Ark of the Covenant as made of acacia or shittah-tree wood.
That shittah-tree wood probably is in the same league as both "D" log and "eBay" log.

I have an Illuminati cable between my Levinson CD transport, and my Sonic Frontiers digital converter....
really sweetened the sound!

Bernie Daniel
May-21-2007, 6:00am
SternArt: This is more often done in violin luthiery circles.....I've heard about guitars being vibrated as well. #

There is a low tech way. #

In the '70's I had a young friend who's parents gave him a brand new Martin D-41 for his H.S. graduation. (this kid deserved it he could play the strings off anything).

Anyway his Dad got a small radio and put that inside the guitar and turned up the volume, placed in the case and left it for a week.

They claim it broke the guitar it. #Who knows it was a great sounding guitar before and after.

DryBones
May-21-2007, 6:47am
any of you builders ever use any of that old wood they have been recovering off the floor of the Great Lakes?

Jerry Byers
May-21-2007, 6:55am
The "eBay-log"...
Nice piece of wood.

MikeEdgerton
May-21-2007, 8:15am
An extremely rare photo of "d" Log.

SternART
May-21-2007, 9:43am
Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!!

JEStanek
May-21-2007, 10:02am
Da Finger Planes, da Finger planes.

I am your host, Hans Brentrork, Welcome to Fantasy Mando. I must warn you, just because you get what you ask for, doesn't mean your quest will end...

Spruce
May-21-2007, 10:17am
"That shittah-tree wood probably is in the same league as both "D" log and "eBay" log."

Hmmmm....

I have a shittah-tree growing here on the back 40....

I'd cut it down and mill it into mando wood except that then I wouldn't have anything to hang on to... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Don Grieser
May-21-2007, 10:26am
On the Stomp CD, Compton sings about the ark being made of gopher wood. Now who you gonna believe? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

allenhopkins
May-21-2007, 10:36am
Does anyone remember the "shipmast Martins" of a few years ago -- guitars that were supposed to have tops made from spruce trees that had been first used as the masts of sailing ships. Story was bogus as far as I could tell, but had the same "urban legend" characteristics. The wood was supposed to be super-seasoned and flexed until it was unusually responsive.

The logs that are being pulled out of lakes, having spent decades underwater, are again supposed to be incredibly dense (once dried out). I've heard of them being used for banjo shells, where density and non-vibration (if that's a word) are positive attributes.

Though, if you want "density," I have an Ode banjo with a cast aluminum shell, and a Merrill mandolin with an aluminum body. Don't think you could find a wood much denser than aluminum. However, it does vibrate...

JAK
May-21-2007, 4:20pm
Wow, that's the first time I've seen Hans dressed-up. Business must be good. Hans, if you wear that outfit to the Fathers Day Fesival in Grass Valley you'll outclass Del and Rhonda!

Hans
May-21-2007, 5:16pm
Stanek, check with Adobe...your photoshop has been shut down. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif
Afraid I won't make it to GV this year JAK. Will miss all the CBA folks...

Lynn Dudenbostel
May-21-2007, 9:03pm
Amazing how much Hans looks like Art Stern in that photo. Maybe it's because that's what Art was wearing when I met him at LoarFest West! <G>

Dude

JEStanek
May-21-2007, 9:06pm
I guess I should have a moratorium on picking on Hans. First I dream of getting one of his mandos in the big news thread then, I make him the guy who can make dreams come true...

At least I kept the trademark Brentrup vest on you...

With warmest regards and the utmost respect,
Jamie

SternART
May-21-2007, 11:01pm
Pretty funny Dude.......Actually you know I was complimenting Hans on his vested look at Loarfest West..........but it wasn't white........and everone knows I mostly wear black, as I'm an artist type ........you know.........black beret, black t-shirts........Jerry Garcia wore black t-shirts and the day after he died I went out and bought a dozen & started wearing them, buy more every year, my personal Garcia tribute.......besides black has a slimming look...... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

SternART
May-21-2007, 11:09pm
Here is a self portrait......I do kinda look like Hans, but I've also been mistaken for Grisman numerous times over the years.

Hans
May-22-2007, 6:55am
Just sportin' whitcha Jamie...musta got your attention. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
I remember once a young thing said that I looked like "That old guy... you know." After a few minutes we all figured out she was talking about Sean Connery. She also said "So like you're a woodmaker, right?"...
Nice glass Arthur...I like the tortoise shell looking stuff.

mandomick
May-22-2007, 11:48am
At least I kept the trademark Brentrup vest on you...

I'm guessing that a "trademark" Brentrup vest would come from Filson, not Fantasy Island Tuxedo Rentals.

mandoryan
May-22-2007, 12:33pm
Very nice art Art http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .....probably never heard that one huh? I like your tribute to Jerry too....

SternART
May-22-2007, 12:36pm
Nope Ryan...first time!!!

I go by Arthur & I make art........SternART