PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin brothers

MNDOLNR
May-17-2007, 9:03pm
So, I was able to take a break this week from celebrating my sister's college graduation in New York and hop on the Staten Island ferry for a much awaited trip to Mandolin Brothers. #I'd read positive comments and references on the Cafe for years and was really excited to finally get some time to visit and check the place out. #Mandolin Brothers is a must-see for anyone who finds art in acoustic instruments (the playing of as well as the crafting of). #the shop has 11 rooms, each with its own theme (Gibson, resophonic, banjo, mid-range mandos and banjos, and the high-end room...amongst others). #I walked in and immediately met Stan Jay, the owner. #He introduced himself and proceeded to give me a complete tour of the shop, ending up in the high-end room where he presided over a mandolin tasting that was truly amazing. #Bluett, Adam Steffey's Apitius, top of the line Collings, MM, Gibson Bill Monroe, and 2 completely ridiculous Moneteleone Grand Artist...one of which I think I can still feel vibrating in my hands, not to mention in my wildest dreams.

Anyway, the purpose of this rant is to recommend as highly as possible, visiting Stan's shop and talking with him for a few minutes (or an hour) about these little 8 string things that dominate our lives. #He's just a terrific guy.

Incidentally, I've now been sold on the excellence of Collings mandolins. #Each one held their own up against some monsters, and in some cases the tone and projection of a brand new Collings was equal to, if not better than many more expensive instruments with years of opening up under their strings.

Bernie Daniel
May-18-2007, 5:56am
anders: #2 completely ridiculous Moneteleone Grand Artist...one of which I think I can still feel vibrating in my hands, not to mention in my wildest dreams.

Cool! #I logged on to your page and was greeted by a nice version of "Take Five" -- I haven't heard that for years -- loved it in college in the late 60's. #

You do a nice job with it no appologies for your playing are required at all.

I have never seen one of those Moneteleone Grand Artist though I have admired pics of them for years. #Can you describe the sound a bit?

MikeEdgerton
May-18-2007, 7:11am
So, I was able to take a break this week from celebrating my sister's college graduation in New York and hop on the Staten Island ferry for a much awaited trip to Mandolin Brothers.
I've purchased several instruments over the years from Stan and I can say that going there has always been an adventure. It's good entertainment if nothing else and you'll always be taken care of.

MNDOLNR
May-18-2007, 11:14am
Can you describe the sound a bit?

Surely. #The Monetelone's have a really unique tone. #There's an amazing WOOF to the lower end, a really strong bass response (worth mentioning that I was in a room full of the finest acoustic guitars and mandolins on earth, and with each chop, all the instruments would sing!). #But my favorite traits were balance and resonance. #With such a powerful throat, one may expect for the higher ranges to suffer a bit, but the balance across the strings was wonderful. #The E and A strings had a soft power to them...deceptively loud but so evenly balanced with respect to the lower end. #It's tone was very flute-like in that going from low range to high, wound strings to unwound strings, you don't get the sense that the tone or timbre has changed at all. #Also, they were very light-weight. #I presume this is why the vibrations were so strong. #Aesthetically, they're very nontraditional, with the elongated scroll and oval shape...but with tone like that, who cares. #They could be shaped like a pumpkin and I'd still be in love. #Stan gave me a history lesson as well. #John Moneteleone wasn't particulary interested in making a bluegrass instrument. #So, the characteristics of his instruments are not what we're used to hearing from the Gibsons of the world. #Interesting to compare...Lloyd Loar wasn't interested in making a bluegrass instrument either...since in 1924 his instruements were used for folk and classical music, waiting for bluegrass to be invented and subsequently make his mandolins uber famous.

1944, thanks so much for the kind words. #I really appreciate it. #If you migrate over the "blog" section of my page, there's a link to our 4 song EP which is streaming online.