PDA

View Full Version : Breedlove quartz of

Sandy Beckler
May-17-2007, 3:32am
I am curious as to what the general feeling is for the Breedlove Quartz OF?
Perhaps you own one and have feelings one way or the other.
I am considering upgrading from a Kentucky 380S and would like to stay with an "A" style, preferablly American made and around the $1000.00 price range.

Thanks....Sanchan http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kevin Briggs
May-17-2007, 8:07am
I upgraded almost exactly the same way a few years ago. I went from a Morgan Monroe MMS-2 to a Breedlove Spirit.

You will be amazed at #the difference. I remember playing that Breedlove for the first time, and just thinking, "This is such a dramatic difference. This is what a well-made instrument feels like."

I experienced something similar when I upgraded my acoustic guitar from a Takamine something or other to my Martin HD28. I just remember feeling that Martin vibrate on my leg when I would strum it. It sounded so big, and so solid. I loved it.

Bottom line: The Breedlove is a significant upgrade, and you will notice a big, big difference.

Arby
May-17-2007, 9:47am
Howdy,
I played a Quartz OF last Thursday in a local store. I walked away feeling I was going to buy it. It is balanced, loud, and with a good woody sound. By the time I returned on Saturday with my wife, the shop had a Kentucky KM-855. I played them both back and forth. The 855 just came alive. Complete strangers were coming up and saying the 855 sounded better. I repeated the process on Monday with the same results (different strangers making the same comment). Yesterday I bought the KY and it just keeps sounding better. The bottom line is the bottom line ... I got what I felt was a better sounding mandolin for a little less money.

As any kind poster would say, "This is my set of ears, my money, and my opinion". You buy what you think sounds the best for you. Plusses for the Breedloves are a better warranty and very good cases.

Good Luck!

djidaho
May-17-2007, 10:35pm
I've had mine a week now and it keeps getting better.
The playability and comfort/feel of the neck was one of the reasons I ended taking this one home.

steve V. johnson
May-18-2007, 11:22am
My bandmate in the Lopers, Richard Groner, has had one for a number of years now, and that's the mandolin on our CD (see the two site addresses for the Lopers, below... You can hear some examples of the Quartz OF there.). # He likes it a lot and so do we. #It's got great definition, note separation, tones that can be deep or bright, can chop nice and dry, or ring out with great sustain, a great all-around instrument.

The fretboard is a little wider (I think) than the orthodox, but I like that. #It's played outside gigs without goiong all nuts with heat and humidity...

The Breedlove Quartz series seem to be a really good value, all around.

stv

http://profile.myspace.com/thelopersband