PDA

View Full Version : Nitrocellulose maintenance

zakdl
May-14-2007, 3:48pm
Hi all,

I did a search for this topic, but didn't see anything directly related. I'm wondering if you builders out there could tell me the proper way to clean or maintain a nitrocellulose gloss finish. Do you just buff away with a microfiber cloth, or is there any products that can be applied to the finish to clean it and/or buff it to an eye-squinting shine?

I recall a product made for Motorcycle windshields that will buff out minor scratching to the plastic. Is there anything similar that can be applied to fill or smooth out any minor scratches to the gloss surface of instruments?

sunburst
May-14-2007, 4:20pm
To keep it clean I use water and a soft cotton rag. Just damp, I don't "bathe" the instrument. If that's not doing the job, a dab of detergent in the water.
I use a product called Angel Polish sometimes. It behaves like the "glaze and fill" type products, and probably sort of like the motorcycle windshield stuff. It's sold as a violin polish, but it works pretty well on lacquer too.
It there's a really messed up place, Micro-Mesh will smooth it out.
If I need a pure polish, I use MaGuires #7. Rubbed by hand, it will give a very high gloss.
The Micro-Mesh and the MaGuires are abrasive, so they're only for fixing damage, not for general maintenance.

zakdl
May-15-2007, 10:16am
Thanks, John! Really appreciate the info.