PDA

View Full Version : my first mando recording

cam
May-16-2004, 5:31am
so I've uploaded my version of St. Annes Reel - hope you like it.(Miscellaneous musings folder) I'm playing a little too fast for myself, but I couldn't resist!

Bluegrasstjej
May-16-2004, 6:26am
Too fast? You sound that you have everything totally in control!! After listening to this, I just couldn't post my lousy Soldier's joy! Your first recording? Have you done some attempts before this? I am not exaggerating but this is one of the best recordings I've heard on this site. Every note clean and nice, wonderful back-up and an awesome drive all the way through! I don't even want to ask how long you've played because that might make me throw away my mandolin!!

cam
May-16-2004, 7:21am
Thanks for the compliments. To be honest, my first ever mando arrived by post last Tuesday! I've played flatpick guitar for years and so it's not like I'm having to start from scratch. Just need to get used to the tuning and tiny frets.
But post your Soldiers Joy - this isn't a competition. I mean watching Chris Thile on video almost changed my mind to buy a mando, but then I thought, well, it's not a competition!

Bluegrasstjej
May-16-2004, 8:42am
That is great of you to learn to play so well so quickly, even if you have played the guitar it takes some time to get used to another kind of fretboard. Good work! But I'm not going to post my Soldier's joy anyway.

Brian Ray
May-16-2004, 10:32am
Great job Cam.

I was in your same position a year ago. My guitar has been gathering dust ever since...

Bluegrasstjej
May-16-2004, 2:57pm
Now I'll stop being silly. I've just had a bad day. Then a friend came over. She plays the fiddle and we did a few tunes together, and she said I have improved a lot lately. Then I just decided to believe that I have improved and that I mustn't compare myself with anyone else, but just be happy for my own improvements. I'm sorry for being so negative. Your St Anne is great enough to stay on my Windows Media Player Playlist, but I'll post my soldier's joy later (or Oh Susanna, haven't decided yet), the files section is down at the moment.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Albert Whiting
May-16-2004, 9:25pm
cam i can't find it. where is it at?

cam
May-16-2004, 10:24pm
There seems to be problems with the file section. I couldn't access the files now either - Craig what's happening?

joshro78
May-17-2004, 12:02am
Last Tuesday?!? I thought you'd be better than that by now.
Great job!

craig
May-17-2004, 7:30am
when the "files" section is down on yahoo it is because we have used up the maximum bandwidth (the amount of KB that is transferred either uploaded or downloaded) for the day. it is a free service, so there is a very limited bandwidth. the best thing to do is wait til i get it up on the MP site. i'm in the midst of moving, house-hunting, car-shopping so i may be a bit behind on transferring files over the next several weeks. please be patient http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

craig

sjusk
May-19-2004, 7:35am
Cam, I really enjoyed your recording of St. Anne´s Reel - a tune I´m rather fond of - unbelieveable that you have only played mando for a couple of weeks. Great!

The way you play it is somewhat different from the version I know and play; I wonder if there´s any tabs available of your version? Or did you just "fool around" on the fretboard making your own version?

Looking forward to your next upload!
sjusk

cam
May-19-2004, 12:25pm
sjusk, someone gave me a recording of a session where St Annes was played like that.