PDA

View Full Version : Butch waller - golden gate promenade

Dan Cole
May-12-2007, 7:56pm
I just downloaded this CD off I-tunes. Highly recommended to the purist. 5 Stars!!!!

I think my dad has an old LP called "High Country" with Butch Waller on it too. Too bad thats not a CD also.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

evanreilly
May-12-2007, 10:51pm
Yep!
Butch does an outstanding version of 'Smoky Mountain Schottische.'
I also have the old El-Pee of High Country with him. Butch is very trad mandolin player.

Dan Cole
May-13-2007, 9:11am
Funny........."Smokey Mountain Schottische" is actually why I bought the disc in the first place. I have the 2 Monroe DVDs and was looking for a version to download off Itunes. Waller's CD came up. The playing on the CD so clean it really is helps learning Monroe style of licks, etc.

Doesn't he play a Loar?

f5loar
May-13-2007, 9:14am
Butch since the 60's has long played the same July 9th 1923 Loar on all his recordings. It's so worn now it is beginning to look like the Big Mons Loar. Many got to see Butch at the LoarFest West the past Feb. in CA. He does a pretty mean Bluegrass Stomp but not quite as clean and innovative as our own F5Joe. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

evanreilly
May-13-2007, 9:44am
I beleive the only studio recording of Monroe playing 'SMS' is on the Homespun video.

Dan Cole
May-13-2007, 12:10pm
Wallers Bluegrass Stomp is great, but my favorite is still Jackstraw's version. Its hot. You can download it at Jackstraw.net

Bluegrass Boy
May-16-2007, 2:08pm
Cool, I'll be Butch's assistant for his mandolin workshop at the Grass Valley music camp next month. Looking forward to sucking up some of that traditional bluegrass mandolin.

sgarrity
May-16-2007, 2:33pm
This message board costs me lots of money! LOL Got this cd on the way.

Shaun

sgarrity
May-30-2007, 2:59pm
I've had it for over a week now and it's barely left my cd player. I can't believe I didn't know this recording existed. Sooooo.......

Are there any others like this I need to know about?

Dan Cole
Jun-05-2007, 9:01pm
Yep its a good disc. Very Monroesque. I have listened to it dozens of times since I got it!

Nelson Peddycoart
Feb-16-2011, 1:51pm
After listening to Golden Gate Promenade, I checked out Perfect Companions by High Country and High County: The First 25 Years. All three are excellent.

doc holiday
Feb-16-2011, 2:47pm
It is a great CD....here's an acknowledgement for some great trad guitar playing on this recording by Jim Nunnally
:-)

Skip Kelley
Feb-18-2011, 2:20pm
That is one great CD. Butch gets an awesome tone out of his Loar. He says he loves old dead strings! I have a 1972 lp of High Country's "Dreams". He did some awesome picking way back then

Nelson Peddycoart
Feb-18-2011, 2:37pm
Yesterday, I spent much of the day at work listening to The Old Photograph, a Waller Brothers cd. It is really nice.

If I could get the tone that Butch does, I would be a happy man.