PDA

View Full Version : Georgia rag

Michael H Geimer
May-11-2007, 5:48pm
I recently picked up Norman and Nancy's Natasha's Waltz. The tune Georgia Rag really stood out for me. I like its driving feel and its catchy melody.

I went looking for TAB, or ABC and didn't find anything. I've had the tune stuck in my head for a week or so, and a few nights ago, it all just sort of came out at once. Now, I didn't get every nuance of that recording, but I've got the tune for sure. (side note: this playing everything by ear thing is really starting to pay off for me).

My wife (on banjo) and I faked our way through some chord changes, and it's sounding good. But, I wonder of if anyone might offer the chords they (or anyone) typically plays behind this tune? I hear some vague areas where a IV chord might want to be a vi (minor).

As well, any other anecdotes about, or insight into, or variations on this tune would be appreciated. The Natasha's Waltz recording is all I know of it right now.

Thanks!

Gary S
May-12-2007, 6:00am
I am pretty sure that Big Bill Broonzy recorded a version of Georgia Rag.I do not know if it is the same tune. I havnt heard the Blake recording.

Steve Davis
May-13-2007, 11:20am
Here's a version: by Blind Willie McTell. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZtNQGywAhw)