PDA

View Full Version : First fret sounding problems

thursvai
May-11-2007, 10:06am
Hello, I have a question about fretting the first fret on my mando. On all of the strings except the G, whenever I fret the first fret, it sounds as if I'm fretting the 2nd. I'm not sure if this is a common problem or that my mando seems to be flawed. I'm not sure exactly how much a truss rod adjustment or a bridge adjustment may fix this on a mandolin (compared to a guitar).. or how easy a fix would be for me to do on my own rather than taking it to a shop. I have no pictures so I know that it may be difficult to diagnose, but I'm hoping someone will have an idea. It also occurs occasionally at other places on the neck like the 10th fret sounding like the 11th on the E string.

Thanks.

Tim2723
May-11-2007, 10:40am
Assuming your bridge is the adjustable kind, the easiest thing to try first is to raise the action a little. Sometimes it's just a very small adjustment that's needed, and you don't have to take it to a shop. Half a turn on the treble thumbwheel may do it.

otterly2k
May-11-2007, 11:19am
From your description, it sounds like your frets are not even with each other. #If you are fretting on the first fret and it sounds like you are fretting on the second, that tells me that the string is not clearing the second fret it its line from your finger to the bridge. #If that is happening in several places on the mando neck, it may be worth having someone with repair knowledge and skills give the whole thing a "once over". #

Sometimes just increasing the angle by raising the bridge a little will make the needed difference, so by all means give that a try. #But if the action gets too high to be comfortable and you're still having this problem, or are hearing buzzing against the fretwires, then I think you need a fret levelling / setup work done, and imho it would be worth taking it to someone with a little experience.

good luck
KE
ps. I would not mess with the truss rod at this point.

thursvai
May-11-2007, 11:43am
Ok I raised the bridge a bit and I can now fret the first fret soundly. Thanks for the speedy help guys. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

PS. Yeah I really didn't want to mess with the truss rod if I didn't have to.

acousticphd
May-11-2007, 11:45am
I agree that it sounds like your frets (and/or fingerboard) are not level; also maybe that your fingerboard is "back-bowed". It could be that your bridge needs to be raised, but keep in mind this will have much less effect on correcting fret clearance up near the nut and 1st fret (due the that whole tangent of the right triangle principle) than higher up on the fingerboard.

You might first check your 2nd fret really closely to see if it looks like it have come up out of its slot. If you have a good, short straight edge tool that will lay across frets 1-3, it may could show you that the edge "rocks" over a high 2nd fret.