PDA

View Full Version : Post a picture of your Custom Gibson

Zemper
May-15-2004, 6:10pm
I just picked up this F5-G and added the low profile pickguard. I'm absolutly infatuated with this thing, I love it and could not ask for anything more out of a mandolin (for what Im looking for at least). Its got the sound, the playability, and to me the pickguard totally adds to the looks. So to anyone asking that age old question "what mando should I get for under 3k?" Go for the f5-g or an affordable flatiron, just my 2 cents.... However I do have a couple of questions for the experts out there.....

Question 1: I just intonated the bridge, and there is a slight wear in the finish below where the bridge used to be. It looks like it could be polished out. Any recomendations on a compound or type of material to rub that out with (cloth type and some type of compound recommendations would be great). I really dont know much about finish work.

Question 2: I was considering refinishing the mandolin and having it hand stained, any recommendations on a good refinshing shop? Also any recomendations on how much I should spent to refinish the whole mando? I was thinking laquer, but would definetly consider a varnish if I could find a place to do it for the right price...

Thanks for all of your help....

Zemper
May-15-2004, 6:12pm
Heres a better pic....

Zemper
May-15-2004, 6:16pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

May-15-2004, 7:56pm
Zemper.. There is no need to rub out the bridge mar. 99 percent of all mando's will have that in their life time from switching bridges out and redoing the intonation. Your mandolin looks awesome. I wouldn't refinish it all. The cost to have it refinished especially RE-STAINED I would say would easily put you over the $1000 mark.

mandoJeremy
May-15-2004, 8:21pm
I fully agree with Maverick here. If you are talking varnish I would say between $1500 and $2500. Just enjoy the way it is if you are happy with it. If you are not sell it and buy something else.

Zemper
May-15-2004, 9:09pm
You guys are definetly right, Im gonna enjoy the hell out of this thing and just not worry. The thing is Im just a perfectionist, but I love this mandolin so much that I really can just put the imperfections out of my mind. Thanks for the good advice, because I do really agree.

Paul Statman
Jun-09-2004, 12:28pm
In feel I must be missing something - just what is 'custom' about your mando?

Scotti Adams
Jun-09-2004, 2:08pm
..uh..probably the pic guard...thats not a standard issue Gibson pg...

samuel
Jun-09-2004, 2:37pm
great looking mando... stick with the finish that is on it... NICE!!!

Randy42649
Jun-19-2004, 3:56pm
I have to agree with you on the sound. I've played a couple of F5-Gs and they pretty much looked, felt and sounded like my Flatiron Festival F which is for all practical purposes the same mandolin. The pick guard adds to the looks a bit. I've preferred to keep mine without a pick guard. In fact I've always taken them off the mandos I play. I never have cared for them. They look good. They just don't work for me somehow. These mandos are treasures. A little imperfection in the looks just adds character. Of course the first character mine got from from my then 2 year old knocking a mic stand over and putting a scar in it after I had owned it for only a week. Oh well. It still sounds great.
Randy