PDA

View Full Version : Bill hay #3

billhay4
May-07-2007, 11:20am
Here are some photos of my third instrument. It has a Bosnian Maple back and sides, an Englemann top, and a design based on the Lyon and Healey A body shape. Odd scale length (15") to get the bridge where I wanted it. Some odd design elements, too.
Haven't gotten it set up yet, so I can't say how it will sound, but it has a deep, resonant thump.

billhay4
May-07-2007, 11:21am
The back.

billhay4
May-07-2007, 11:23am
Headstock. I had problems with the brass inlay in the maple and may replace the maple veneer with ebony. It works a lot better for inlay. It doesn't look as bad in person, though.
Bill

billhay4
May-07-2007, 11:24am
Tailpiece with brass in ebony.

billhay4
May-07-2007, 11:25am
Final one, a close up of the back. Hard to see the abundant beeswing grain, though.
Thanks for looking.
Bill

Bill Snyder
May-07-2007, 4:40pm
I am trying to remember. Was it a Kay style I sent you a drawing of or the Lyon and Healy (or am I just really mixed up and sent a drawing to someone else)?
This looks good. Just one request. When you get it finished post BIGGER pictures so those of us suffering from middle aged eyes can see it a bit better. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

billhay4
May-07-2007, 5:04pm
It was a Kay drawing you sent, Bill. I used a drawing from Neil Dean for this one.
I'm still mulling over the Kay and other shapes, too, as you can guess from my philosophical ramblings in the builder's section.
I tried to get the pictures down to size for Scott, but I'll be glad to send you bigger ones if you like. PM me.
These are bad pictures, anyway. My first efforts with the spouse's new digital camera. I'm the guinea pig. Well, maybe you guys are.
Bill