PDA

View Full Version : The gibson a-40

ortha
May-05-2007, 5:43pm
I recently purchased an older A-40 mandolin off ebay and was wondering if someone out there could answer some questions for me. For reference, my mandolin looks just like this one. http://www.retrofret.com/product....5552007 (http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3233&CartID=690745552007)

First of all, is there supposed to be a back brace across the center? I've seen a few pictures on the web and it is very difficult to see in the f holes. According to provide.net and the Gruhn book, there is, but I swear I don't see it in a few examples on the web.

Also, is there a way for me to find the date? Mine doesn't have a sticker inside (cross brace is located where one would normally be), and there is no stamp on the headstock. I've heard the term "FON" referenced in dating these instruments. What does that mean?

All and all it's a nice little mando. I'd like to know as much as possible about it. I know they were made form 1948-1971.

mandroid
May-05-2007, 7:31pm
back brace? the back is a laminated formed of several veneers of mahogany.

none was present on one I owned in the past, I suppose the back was taken off to cure some situation.
serial number would nail down year of production , one would, perhaps, be on the neck heel block. mirror inspection inside.

ortha
May-05-2007, 7:40pm
The back has not been off and this brace could never have fit through the f hole. The shape of this mandolin is perfect and the brace nicely fits the arch of the interior (something that would be tough to replicate). I believe I've loceated the FON which I now know stands for factory order number. It is located in the treble f hole and stamped on the back with ink.
It could take a bit to decipher.

ortha
May-05-2007, 8:13pm
Ok the factory order number is 8158-13. According to provide.net this dates it to 1951. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know. I would still like a confirmation on the back brace question.

ortha
May-05-2007, 9:22pm
Ok, I guess the brace across the back was only used up till the end of 1951 according to the post entitled "Gibson 50s A model". I answered all my own questions.

f5loar
May-05-2007, 10:46pm
With that number 1951 sounds right but you might want to know about the 13 number. It is the 13th one made in a batch of 369 A40s made in 1951. The back brace is correct as I doubt anyone would add one but some have been removed over the years. There were no labels on the post war A40s up until around 1964 then the common orange label appeared on the lower end instruments. If yours is the blonde/natural top it goes by A-40N. While the one you reference to is for sale at $750 it was missing the tailpiece cover. Everything else on that one appears original. The value today on the A40 runs from $600 up to $1000 depending on conditon and other factors of originality and sound.

ortha
May-05-2007, 11:52pm
Thanks for the info f5loar.
Your comments on this subject in previous posts cleared up a lot of my questions. My A-40 has some miles on it but it is all original except for the bridge and case. I am trying to acquire the original bridge from the previous owner. Again, a really cool old mando that is completely different from my A-9. Is there a good information source for mid century Gibson mandolins other than the locations mentioned above?