PDA

View Full Version : Gibson a9

mando_law
May-01-2007, 11:18am
First, I understand this is a very subjective question; but, does anyone know what the sound, tone and playability are like on a Gibson A9? Also what about the fit and finish? Good, average or bad?
I'm thinking about buying a used A9...

Kevin Briggs
May-01-2007, 11:36am
I think the A9 is supposed to sound like that classic, dry, woody Gibson Fern sound. I'm sure there are some differences, but Gibson advertises it as being what is probably is, a great way to get that Gibson sound for the price of an A style.

I'd go for it.

Douglas McMullin
May-01-2007, 11:52am
The A9 is a nice instrument. If you are looking at them seriously, then I would also recommend playing a Collings MT as a comparison. They are similar in many ways and more or less in the same price range. Both are excellent.

Frank Russell
May-01-2007, 12:12pm
I had an A9 that was great, after I made some modifications. Replaced the Corian nut with walrus ivory, took the knife edge off the binding, better setup, etc... It had good tone, and the guy I sold it to was very happy with it. Of course, neither one of us paid more than $900 for it. Frank

pickinNgrinnin
May-01-2007, 1:12pm
I've had 2 A9's over the past few years. The first one was a good one but the 2nd one was great. I sometimes wish I still had it around. I had no complaints about the fit and finish - they were both pretty clean. Very easy to play and are a good value if you buy them used. That 2nd one I owned sure had the tone, a real monster.

Nolan
May-01-2007, 1:40pm
You can't go wrong with a used A-9.

Greenmando
May-01-2007, 6:25pm
I love mine, bought it used here in the classifeds. I play it more than the F9.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/Mandolins/Gibson004.jpg