PDA

View Full Version : New stiver  & weber fern

Kevin S
Apr-29-2007, 2:51pm
Here are some photos of my new mandos. I'm totally in love with the Stiver. Lou does such great work. I waited for a year and the wait was worth it. It's clear,loud, and pretty. The Weber was kind of an impulse buy. After hearing it I couldn't resist.

Kevin S
Apr-29-2007, 2:54pm
Another

Kevin S
Apr-29-2007, 3:00pm
Trio

MandoChop
Apr-29-2007, 3:51pm
I have friend who had a Stiver (A body - not sure of number) - it played nicely and had really good tone. That's a beautiful burst - actually beautiful bursts on all 3. I notice you have the strap on the Weber - must be the one you're playin' the most? Rich.

Kevin S
Apr-29-2007, 7:18pm
Thanks Rich,
I Have heard several of Lou's A models and they all sounded very good. He plays an A model in his group "Wildwood Express".Actually I got the Weber a few months before the Stiver. I put the strap,tone-guard,and armrest on the Weber and have never gotten around to changing them. I've got a kid going to UMBC in the fall and after buying two mandos I'm lucky to be able to afford mac & cheese. So I'm hoping up for some Santa action for addition accesories. Here's the backs side by side.

sgarrity
Apr-29-2007, 11:50pm
That is a very nice collection you have going

Lane Pryce
Apr-30-2007, 10:11am
Really nice set of F5's. I got to play a great sounding Weber Yellowstone that had a cedar top at Merlefest; thanks Phil!!! Lp

Don Grieser
Apr-30-2007, 11:05am
Nice mandos and nice rock work too! Are you in one of the New England states?

Lee
May-01-2007, 12:04pm
Please, give us your best shot at describing the tonal differences of the trio.

Mike Buesseler
May-01-2007, 1:03pm
Kevin, also do your best to get those beauties away from that wood stove before winter!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Kevin S
May-01-2007, 7:57pm
To answer some questions.
Don
I live in PA and that wall is 4-5 feet tall and runs the length of my driveway. Approx. 70 feet. It was built in 1957 when the house was built and the former owners left me some pictures of its construction. Good masons because it hasn't moved in 50 years. It was hidden, covered with ivy, which I quickly removed.

Lee
# The Stiver still sounds a little green yet but I think that it has a very clean sharp ring all the way up the neck. It also responds well to HARD picking with very little distortion. Of the three I like to play it above the 5th fret the most because of its sustain and projection.
# The Weber at first sounded very similar to my Flatiron only louder with a clearer bottom end(i.e. G string) but as it has opened up it now has the nicest bell like low end and a chop that sounds like hollow logs being slapped together. Woody yet sweet and clear all the way up the neck.
# The Flatiron lies somewhere in between but has less projection that diminishes as you pass the 5th fret.

Thanks for the nice comment guys. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Danny Clark
May-04-2007, 9:06am
nice collection Kevin!!!