PDA

View Full Version : Weber yellowstones!

banjer23
Apr-28-2007, 7:47am
Sold my Eastman 615,which for the money was a super lil mando,,looking the Weber Yellowstone model,,would like to hear from any owners,,how good are they,,tone,,playability,,etc,,thanks,,this site is the best!!

Nick Triesch
Apr-28-2007, 10:18am
Weber is changing. The Yellowstone now is fitted with tone bars instead of being x braced. Also different top woods are being used. Woods like Cedar and red spruce. My friend just bought a new custom Yellowstone from the mandolin store and he says it's a wonderful mandolin with huge sound. Also Weber fit and finish are as clean as ever. Maybe even better. The best is yet to come from Weber. Nick

Rick Schmidlin
Apr-28-2007, 11:04am
I think the Webster Yellowstone is a great ungrade, I for a brief time had a Cedar Yellowstone and it was a neck thing for me,by far everybody who heard it was impressed.

B. T. Walker
Apr-29-2007, 7:34pm
I bought a '04 Weber Yellowstone to use while waited for a custom order. Bought it with the intention of selling if when the new one came in, but I cannot bring myself to so it. It is a tremendous mando. Wonderful tone. Beautiful fit and finish. Very playable. It holds its own against louder, more obnoxious instruments in the bluegrass jam I attend. I agree with Tone Monster that the Weber Yellowstone is a great upgrade.

Rob Wallace
Apr-29-2007, 10:07pm
Don't know that I can describe the tone as eloquently as others here, but I've owned a cedar top Yellowstone for the last year and a half and love it. #If you really want an education re: cedar tops and Weber, give Greg Boyd a call. #He'll treat you right!

Rob

kmando
Apr-30-2007, 5:54am
I've owned a Weber Yellowstone for about 3 years now. I had it custom built and think that it's a great mandolin. It came x-braced because I really didn't know the difference between that and tone bars at the time. Anyway, it wasn't terribly loud when I got it but it had a good tone. After several months it began to open up and now it sounds great and will hold it's own against a banjo. And a bonus is, the folks at Weber couldn't be nicer. They really care about customer service.

Karen

lawdawg
Apr-30-2007, 12:41pm
I play a YS - tone bars - adiron top. I like it and those with much more experience and better ears than me like it as well. It's 2 years old and really starting to open up. With J75s it has a killer tone and volume. With elixirs it works good too. The only mando I've personally played that blew it away was a Tom Ellis ($10k).

Lane Pryce
Apr-30-2007, 12:57pm
I got to play a cedar topped YS at MerleFest. I thought it was a very good sounding mandolin. Playability was great too. Lp

Dick Wade
Apr-30-2007, 1:14pm
I play a cedar top Yellowstone. I have no regerts. I tried a bunch of fine mandos and liked the Weber the most. What I have found interesting is the players at jams and shows that have tried my mando like it as much or more that the other American brands in the same and higher price ranges. It works for me, but my guitar player has a Gibson F-5G that he loves and my brother plays a Collings that speaks to him. You have to get out there and play a bunch to find your mando.

jimbob
Apr-30-2007, 5:20pm
I had a '98 YS for a couple of years. It was a really nice instrument with wonderful fit and finish. It had tone bars and a couple of other custom features from Weber. It had a flat fret board and played very easily. The tone was great, but the only thing missing was volume. The good thing was I bought it used and played it for about two years for free. I really liked the Yellowstone and sometimes miss it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Nolan
May-01-2007, 1:44pm
I spent some time with a recent Yellowstone this weekend and it was a GREAT mandolin. #I played it next to my Collings and F-9 for comparison and it had everything. #I notice that Weber seems to have their tone down... most all the Webers I play sound like Webers. #I think they sound really good on a Mic but this yellowstone I played was a hoss, tons of volume and lots of woof. #It had a spruce top but I don't know if it was tone bars or X braced.