PDA

View Full Version : Fingerboard length

reb0964
Apr-27-2007, 5:30pm
Thanks for replies and suggestions to the first fingerboard post....i have the fingerboard on the mandolin that had the longer neck but with the 6 and 7/8 or there abouts scale..so i guess i will need to remove that one and replace it with a longer scale being...though,is it possible perhaps to take another finger board and cut the first position off one and add it to the other to get the scale right,,,or will it not work because each fret position is degrees smaller on each one??? Just thinking out loud?? (for future references)) thanks,, Russell

markishandsome
Apr-27-2007, 5:39pm
Usually when people talk about scale length they mean the nut to bridge distance, you seem to be stating the nut to 12th fret distance, which is just the scale divided by 2. To add length to the fingerboard in the way you describe, you would need a board the exact scale length as the one you need, and if you had that... Plus the fret in that position wouldn't seat right. Why not just shorten the neck and use the board you have?

Bill Snyder
Apr-27-2007, 11:09pm
Russell how long is the NECK from where the nut will be to where it joins the body?