PDA

View Full Version : Special consensus in texas

Stanley Cox
Apr-27-2007, 4:43pm
Great show by a great group. This was the first time I have heard Ron Spears sing and play the mandolin. Top notch picker and singer, as were all of the Special C. I told Ron I was going to tell all on the Cafe, so there you have it.
Stanley

Stanley Cox
Apr-28-2007, 9:09am
Hey Mandoplucker, I wasn't able to talk much with Ron, as they were at the record table collecting their gas money http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif . I was not close enough during the concert to see the peg head, but I wish I had been more observant if my name was on the headstock. They will be back in North Texas in May and maybe I can find out then. It would be neat to see a "Stanley".

Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

cbogle
Apr-28-2007, 1:51pm
Although I haven't seen him since last October (IBMA), he may have been playing his Cliff Sargeant F. Ron Is a great guy, wonderful picker, and absolutely one of the finest singers around.

fredfrank
Apr-28-2007, 2:39pm
Word has it that Ron Spears will be joining Doyle Lawson's Group sometime this season. Nice!

fredfrank
Apr-29-2007, 9:37am
-Ron will be playing bass and I'm sure singing. Doyle makes'em do it all! But hey, he is the boss after all.
Yeah, I doubt Doyle's gonna let anybody else play the mandolin in his band!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Just for the record, though, I've heard Ron play all of the other bluegrass instruments, and he can do it all!

jim simpson
Apr-29-2007, 8:53pm
I'm sorry to hear that he's leaving Special Consensus although joining DLQ must be a good opportunity. I've enjoyed the latest installment of SC. I guess change is the norm.

mandopete
Apr-30-2007, 10:20am
Just for the record, though, I've heard Ron play all of the other bluegrass instruments, and he can do it all!
Even the clarinet?

fredfrank
Apr-30-2007, 6:05pm
I'm not sure the clarinet is a bluegrass instrument. Nor are the vibes, although Pete Wernick uses both instruments in his band. In fact, they ain't no part of nothin'!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandopete
May-01-2007, 8:21am
Oh yeah, now you're gonna start telling me that there ain't no cowbell in bluegrass either!

testore
May-01-2007, 10:15am
I met Ron through a mutual friend while we both lived in SLC. Looks like his decision to move to Nashville was a good one. Sure beats driving bus for the Utah Transit Authority(Rons old day job)

Wesley
May-01-2007, 11:15am
Stanley - Where was this concert ? I live in North Richland Hills just north of Ft Worth.

Stanley Cox
May-02-2007, 8:39am
Hi Wesley, This particular concert was at The Hurst Public Library. This was sponsored by Artsnet Master Series. They are doing a show in Bedford with Special Consensus on May 17th. Have you been to any Southwest Bluegrass Club meetings in Grapevine? We meet on the 3rd Sunday of the month except in May. That is Main Street Days weekend.

Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Wesley
May-02-2007, 9:59am
No I havn't been to any of the meetings but I need to get on their mailing list.At least I was able to make it to the Argyle Bluegrass Festival.

MWM
May-03-2007, 10:22am
Ron's a great musician. I've seen him out jamming at festivals late at night. Once was last fall when he sang tenor to my lead for a couple songs - one of the all time highlights of my singing. #It's always cool to see musicians who still like to jam. I've run into Audie Blaylock jamming a few times too. I'm sure he'll be great with DL.

Rroyd
May-09-2007, 9:23am
I personally think Ron Spears really shines as a songwriter; the songs (and there are many) he has written are as good as they come, and his name is appearing more frequently in the credits as more folks become aware of his writing skills. #I don't know if "My Time has Come" is still available, but it featured almost all originals, and every one was a gem.

jim simpson
May-09-2007, 12:12pm
Okay, so who here is going to go for Ron's spot in Special Consensus?

Jim Broyles
May-09-2007, 12:23pm
Go for it, Jim.

jim simpson
May-09-2007, 5:30pm
Hey Jim (jbmando),
I am friends with Justin (their guitar player) and I will be unemployed soon!
Nah, I'm not in their league!

Scotti Adams
May-10-2007, 2:36pm
Why did Doyles band quit him...What are they doing now?

jim simpson
May-10-2007, 5:07pm
This from Country Standard Time:
"Spears, who penned "Ocean Of Teardrops" on Lawson's latest release, "More Behind The Picture Than The Wall," will start his new duties with Quicksilver on a yet-to-be-determined date. He will replace Jamie Dailey, one of three band members to leave along with Mike Hartgrove and Terry Baucom".

Wow!

Stanley Cox
May-10-2007, 5:43pm
Special C will be in Bedford Tx. May 17th and I can see a good discussion with Ron if he is there. I know Doyle and also Greg Cahill get a lot of turn over. I guess the grass is greener or bluer on the other side of the fence. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Stanley

GVD
May-11-2007, 3:40pm
Scotti Adams Posted

Why did Doyles band quit him...What are they doing now?

I don't know for sure why Hartgrove and Baucom left but I've heard that Baucom justed wanted a break from the road for a while.

If you haven't heard Jamie Dailey's story then listen up! He's formed a new band along with Darren Vincent of Kentucky Thunder fame (also has a sister that goes by the name of Rhonda http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif ). They are called The Dailey Vincent Band and I'm here to tell you they are just flat going to blow the socks off everybody starting about the first of next year. They're both staying with their current bands until around the end of this year and are leaving Doyle and Ricky on good terms.

Jeff Parker is going to play mandolin and sing harmony with them. Speaking of harmony you would not believe how good they sound already. DLQ is going to have some serious competition for vocal group of the year. They also have a hot young banjo picker and fiddler who I'm not at liberty to name just yet. They're practicing 8 - 10 hours a day 2 to 3 days a week and are going to come out of the gate running. They will be releasing their first album around the end of the year and judging by the 4 song sampler CD I've got it is gonna be an absolute killer.

GVD

Timbofood
May-12-2007, 1:37pm
Just saw Special "C" at a microbrewery in Benton Harbor, MI. last night! Ron , Dave, Justin and Greg were in FINE FORM! Too bad the house was only wbout 16 faces. True to Cahill form show was as good as if there had been 1600. They have never failed to put on a great show. Ron played the Stanley - one beautiful piece back,one great shaped neck + 1 powerful picker = Killer Mandolin!) Understand that will go back to Chris in the near future. Maybe I should sell my car? They will be in Racine, WI. this evening I think Greg said.
What a great time, worth the time for the hour trip each way, just wish there had been more bodies there.