PDA

View Full Version : Restringing the right way

deaner
May-14-2004, 10:20am
I noticed on a web site THIS HERE (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html) #the proper (so they say ) to string a mandolin at the tailpiece. #There are hooks that run parrelell with the strings but then there are 4 more that are horizontal. #The site said to hook the 2 "E" and 2 "A" stings to the horizontal ones and the use the parrellel ones as a 90degree break point. #I did this once and then forgot to do it on the next change but noticed no difference either way. #My question is if this is in fact the right way, then how come every shop I go to has all 8 strings on the parellel ones. #Will this affect the mandolin structurally? #Just curious

Gary
May-14-2004, 10:54am
Deaner,

If you re-read the frets.com page, you'll notice that they say that either one is fine. #Apparently in the early days the unwound A and E strings had loops that would slip. #The extra hooks were designed to prevent slippage. #I guess that newer strings no longer have this problem. #So, either way is fine.

Gary

deaner
May-15-2004, 9:15am
aaaaaa.....I can see clearly now. Thanks Gary

toddjoles
May-15-2004, 11:27am
I find the slippage thing interesting as the only time I have broken strinks at the tailpiece is when I have used the horizontal hooks. I don't use them now and I haven't broken an A or E string at the tailpiece in over a year.

Bandersnatch Reverb
May-15-2004, 3:09pm
I think the problem is different. I think the tiny E and A tend to pop off the hook as you're trying to get it done up right at the peghead, and tensioned. I think the extra hook and bend would make this better. The tailpiece I've got is all straight hooks and those E's and A's tend to have a mind of their own, to the point that I've resorted to using a capon to keep the tail end tight, while I get the string in the machine and positioned correctly.