PDA

View Full Version : Yet another string question

first string
Apr-23-2007, 12:47pm
Hi all,

I obtained a 1940 Martin 0-18T a few months ago which I have tuned GDAE, and I am loving it. However it has come time to change the strings, and I don't know what gauge strings to use. Whatever gauges it came strung with sound good except for the G which is a little floppy. It could probably stand to have the action raised ever so slightly, but I want to try a slightly heavier gauge first (which is hard being that I don't know what is on there now).

So my question is, what do you think would be a safe bet in terms of tuning GDAE--but please bear in mind that this is a 67 year old instrument with no truss rod. It would be nice to be able to use octave mandolin sets but D'Addario's are listed as .048, .032, .022, and .012, which seems like it might be a bit too heavy. I was told by someone that I shouldn't exceed roughly 19 lbs per string, and according to juststrings all the strings in the D'Addario set except the E are well above that amount of tension. That said a standard set of tenor strings for CGDA (.032, .022, .014, .010) is too light for GDAE. So should I just split the difference and choose some strings halfway between? That seems a little unscientific. I really love this instrument and don't want to take any chances.

What I'm really hoping is that there are some other tenor players out there who can tell me what they use and have found to be a good compromise.

Thanks,
James

acousticphd
Apr-24-2007, 11:17am
James,

As no one else has answered yet, I'll chime in. #I'm sure you can use a string tension calculator to arrive at one answer, but in the end you also have to judge by the way it feels and sounds to you. #I think your 018T scale length is ~22.75", and probably it was strung CGDA for many of its 70 years. #

You would have to know what string scale D'Addario is basing its tension calulations on - it might be in the range of 21-23". #As another index, the GHS OM set is 44/32/22w/12 - the same except with a lighter bass string. I use the equivalent of the GHS set a 22.75" scale tenor I converted to an 8-string OM, but if it were strung as a 4 string, I would consider this pretty light. #

Note that the E string (0.012) and D string (0.032) are the same as you would find in a regular light-guage guitar set, but they will feel like Xtra-lights on the shorter-scale tenor. #You don't want them too slack; think they would be about right for GDAE on your tenor. #You could probably use a smaller (.044-.046) for the G string. #My other advice is to use the smallest wound A string you can easily find; this string will feel the tightest of the 4. You might start with the GHS OM set; that would give you two tenor sets to try out.

first string
Apr-24-2007, 1:41pm
Thanks Jeff,

That definitely helped. I've gotten a little advice from the folks at the tenor guitar registry too, and I think I'm going to compromise between the various sets that have been recommended and try something like 42/29/20/12. I believe that's a bit heavier than what I have on there now (based on an eyeball comparison with my mandolin strings), and I'm already getting pretty fantastic results (except for the slightly floppy G once again). Excited to hear the changes if any.

MandoSquirrel
Apr-24-2007, 3:43pm
If I'm not mistaken, you need to watch for the difference in Mandolin LOOP ends, vs. Guitar BALL ends, correct?

first string
Apr-24-2007, 4:07pm
If I'm not mistaken, you need to watch for the difference in Mandolin LOOP ends, vs. Guitar BALL ends, correct?
Yes. I will probably just get guitar singles. However, it is possible to attach the ball ends from old guitar strings to loop end strings.

Ken Sager
Apr-24-2007, 5:36pm
I'm using 12-22-33-45 (ball-end bulk) and love them. My scale is 22.5". Tuned GDAE I get a lot of growl out of the bass, and lots of clarity out of the trebles. I'm contemplating a lighter set to try, too, going with 10-18-30-40, just to see what they feel like.

Experiment and you might surprise yourself.

Best,
Ken