PDA

View Full Version : Rounding a pick

Cary Fagan
Apr-17-2007, 11:38am
Perhaps there have been posts on this before. If so I'd appreciate being directed that way.

Recently I lost my wegen bluegrass pick that I'd been playing with for 1 1/2 years. It had become nicely rounded. Now I have to use a new pointed one and it doesn't work for me. I've tried rounding one with various sandpapers and files and the sound I get is pretty poor--tinny. Any advice?

mandroid
Apr-17-2007, 12:06pm
I like diamond fingernail files, try various wet or dry paper? rather than carpenters sandpaper... I would go to very very fine like 'crocus cloth' 600 grit or finer, but the denim pants do a good final buff.

JGWoods
Apr-17-2007, 12:10pm
I get good results with fingernail sanding boards or whatever you call them. Around here the CVS has a pink one that is fine on one side, super fine on the other. Costs a buck.
Works on fingernails too.

G_Smolt
Apr-17-2007, 1:57pm
Seconding the suggestion for emery boards, as well as the final buff on Levi's or another coarse cotton fabric.

If you REALLY want to give the pick that comfy, "played-in" feel, try duplicating your own wear pattern on the point.

Mark

Apr-18-2007, 9:38pm
i stated how to do this in a previous thread and got slack for it!!! oy vey.......
a pair of old jeans, or even better, the best, is carpet.

64lusso
Apr-25-2007, 10:32am
Or you could just go to the Tortis website and order one of their pick maintenence kits for $3.75, it might be the best deal out there, everything you need to re-shape and smooth your picks quickly and effortlessly in a small pouch that will fit in most Mando case pockets.

Cary Fagan
Apr-25-2007, 10:52am
thanks for the replies. I found that the emery board did work pretty well, followed by the blue-jean buff. An hour of playing time and it sounded just fine. This is great to know as now I can make some back-up picks and not be terrified of losing my one good one.

I'll be interested in taking a look at that tortis kit.