PDA

View Full Version : My new brw

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 9:45am
Well, after waiting approximately 11 months, my new BRW is here. Cafe members were right about Ben's attention to detail. The inlay, binding, etc. are all very clean. This one is red spruce over sugar maple (aka eastern hard maple).

In terms of the sound, I'm not going to write a long review, because the instrument is so new. I think the last coats of lacquer were put on a week or two ago and I've only had it strung up to pitch for a couple of days.

To my ear, the tone is Collings-ish (previously owned mandos: Weber, Rigel, Collings MT2), but not quite as dry and woody. It's a little warmer, maybe a bit more midrange focus and very "poppy" on every string.

I am thoroughly enjoying it. If someone could point me to the website that tells how to post pictures, I would really like to post some.
Dan J

Tom C
Apr-17-2007, 10:23am
Click "Add Reply" button. At bottom there is "Browse" button. Add your file.
Pay attention to size limit. You will get an error if it is too big.

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 10:47am
Okay, let's try this.

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 10:49am
One of the top....

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 10:50am
And one of the back.... (all pictures were taken by Ben Wilcox). BTW, thanks for the info Tom C.

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 10:53am
Okay, one more of the top, up close.

Lee
Apr-17-2007, 12:06pm
Ben's built very few A5's. I have one, #24. Your headstock is different. Let me see if I can get some photos posted. Your impression of the tone is similar to mine. Congrats!

John Hill
Apr-17-2007, 12:37pm
Very nice. That headstock design is new, Ben showed me a sketch when I placed my order and he was right, the finished product looks fantastic. Mine's a red spruce top & red maple back so it will be interesting to compare the differences in tone between the red & sugar maple (if any). Man, pics like these just make the wait excruciating!

Great looking mando!

danoNC
Apr-17-2007, 1:04pm
Lee -- Mine's #67. I'd love to play your sometime to see what a few years will do!

I really like the headstock design as well as the fingerboard extension. I think that Ben is comeing up with some really nice designs (especially the oval holes, yowza!)

John -- I agree, it would be interesting to compare the 2 maples. Maybe when you get yours we could compare sometime.

Doug Edwards
Apr-17-2007, 2:16pm
Snazzy, like that inaly.

Mark Walker
Apr-17-2007, 2:32pm
Elegance with simplicity! Beautiful mandolin all the way around! Congrats. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JEStanek
Apr-17-2007, 2:42pm
Ben is a very clean builder. That one looks dang near flawless.

Jamie

Lane Pryce
Apr-17-2007, 2:57pm
Dan you have a very nice A5 there. I really dig that torch inlay too. Ben was on my short list when I was shopping for a custom A. Hope you enjoy it!! Over here in Asheboro --- Lp

Perry
Apr-17-2007, 3:10pm
That's a sweet mando. There's something really good looking about a a nice "A"

danoNC
Apr-18-2007, 8:48am
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Hey Lane -- I'm just down the road in Hickory, but will be moving to Oregon in about 3 weeks.

John Hill
Jul-29-2007, 9:04pm
Hey dano,

Any chance of some new pics or sound clips? How's she sounding?

MandoBen
Jul-29-2007, 9:59pm
Got my BRW 2-point two months ago and it totally cranks! Smooth and warm when picked in the sweet spot, but it pops and thumps when driven hard, also similar in tone to my friend's Collings MF5 Varnish.

MandoBen
Jul-29-2007, 10:01pm
Here's a pic (I hope)

MandoBen
Jul-29-2007, 10:02pm
The Back

MandoBen
Jul-29-2007, 10:04pm
The peghead is pretty much the same as yours, just some blue abalone in the torch.

Danny Clark
Jul-30-2007, 7:31am
what are Bens prices A and F ?
Danny

MandoBen
Jul-30-2007, 9:07am
A starts at $1900, F at $3750. He has a great pricing chart on his website so you can click on the options you want and get an instant price quote. I have tried to make these URL's into links but I am not very good at working this typewriter/TV thing ;-)

http://www.brw-instruments.com/FT-MS%20Prices.html

http://www.brw-instruments.com/MA-H2%20Prices.html