PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout some Gordon?

steadypluckinaway
Feb-01-2004, 1:23pm
I think some of Gordon's stuff would sound superb with a little mando in the mix. "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" for example, or "Song for a winter's night", "Early morning rain", etc. would be great crowd pleasers and fun to play.

Anybody play any Gord?

John Flynn
Feb-01-2004, 2:25pm
I used to play some on the guitar years ago. I don't play any on mando now, but I probably should. He is one of the greats who probably hasn't got all the recognition he deserves. When I saw him in concert, he blew me away. I know this gets said too often, but "...Edmund Fitzgerald" is one of the most memorable, haunting and poignant songs ever recorded, IMHO.

steadypluckinaway
Feb-01-2004, 2:33pm
I had the chance to see him, about 5 years ago in Cheyenne for like $8 or something absurd. I regret not going, and hopefully the old guy will keep touring. Next time he comes around here, I'll hopefully be there. I've been working on the chord changes for "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" as an antidote to superbowl fever. It's not real difficult, but the 12-string and the capo kind of throw me. The wreck of the Edmund is a great song. What key is that in?

mandolooter
Feb-01-2004, 4:23pm
The Edmound Fitzgerald is a very nice song that totally fits on the mandolin and not real hard to figure out...I know that cuz I did it and thats one of my weak points. the key is we use is Am.

After referencing my book the chord progression is Am, Em, G, D

Steve L
Feb-01-2004, 4:27pm
I think Gordon Lightfoot is vastly under-appreciated. Fabulous songwriting, a voice I would kill for and great arrangements. I've seen him twice. He tours with most of the same musicians he records with and they sound "just like the record". Some of the folk critics get down on him because he doesn't stand there and tell jokes between tunes, but I don't care. The music is first rate. If you get a chance to see him, go...he's no kid anymore and I think his health may not be the best.

Dan Adams
Feb-01-2004, 4:33pm
We work 'Early Morning Rain' into our song/jam group periodcally, but have never worked it in permanately. Its a good one because of the length. Others GL's can get a little too long. Only my opinion. I've been trying to work out a lead, but we don't play it enough to really warrant a lead yet, but if we ever played it in public, I would be stuck. Better get after that one!

You can't jump a jet plane, like you can a (and old)frieght train! Dan

Jon Hall
Feb-01-2004, 4:35pm
Several years ago Tony Rice recorded "Tony Rice Sings Lightfoot" and it was great. My favorites cuts were Cold On The Shoulder and Bittergreen.

Mandowow
Feb-01-2004, 6:47pm
Gordon Lightfoot sure knows how to write a melody line. Listen to his beautiful, slow song "Affair on 8th Avenue." It's good practice (and fun)to play tremelo along with this.

mandomood
Feb-01-2004, 10:47pm
Tony Rice arrangements of many G. Lightfoot tunes are great...there are 3-4 of them on the Me & My Guitar record...

but I'm sure all of his arrangements are on the Tony Rice Sings Gordan Lightfoot album...

songs can be shortened, verses leftout...specifically for the context or band...worth putting time into and never gets old...

steadypluckinaway
Feb-01-2004, 11:08pm
I been workin on "Minstrel of the Dawn", off of "Gord's Gold", which BTW is a great album that is almost all-encompassing except for "Edmund", and I am amazed at the quantity of music that Lightfoot had in his head. Beautiful stuff, and I got into it from my Dad, who is 50, and nobody my age seems to really like Gord. I'm 25. Kinda made for a renewal in my musical interest. Loving it!!!!!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mandolooter
Feb-02-2004, 2:06am
just keep "steadypluckin" and enjoy. I was aways listening to stuff that most others weren't...its served me well! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

G'DAE
Feb-03-2004, 3:37am
We play Black day in July!

LeftCoastMark
Feb-03-2004, 6:04pm
The pop of today is the old-time of tomorrow. Eventually the writer gets lost, but the tune becomes timeless. Who could hope for more?

darin
Feb-06-2004, 6:30pm
Gord is the best. Grew up on him and the Kingston Trio courtesy of my dad. Saw him for the first time in concert when I was 6 or so, my first concert, for the Summertime Dream album. That Tony Rice album is excellent and would love to see any mando arrangements of his songs. He had an adominal hemmorage last year and hasn't been on the road. Here's a link to the "unoffical site"
http://gordonlightfoot.com/

Mandog
Feb-09-2004, 5:56pm
Yeah, GL's great. I live in Michigan's upper peninsula. 'Edmund Fitzgerald' is to 'da UP' what 'Rocky top' is to Tennessee.

Givensman
Feb-09-2004, 7:26pm
I'm gona date myself. So, the first time I heard Early Morning Rain ... it was done by Ian and Sylvia. In fact, I think they're the one's that really made it popular.
One of the early bluegrass groups did Early Morning Rain ....maybe Country Gazette.

Ribbon of Darknes Over Me, Did She Mention My Name, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, For Lovin' Me, Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald. Yeah, I'd say he wrote a few good tunes

crawdad
Feb-10-2004, 3:07am
I have to second the Tony Rice SIngs Lightfoot CD--its excellent. However, it pays to go to the source too. Gordon is an amazing talent. I first saw him before he broke national with If You Could Read My Mind and the show is still well remembered. Of particular note: "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" that night was inspired, mesmerizing and deeply moving. He's above and beyond a number of more succesful but less talented singer/songwriters. My prayers are with him. I hope he writes the best music of his life and stays with us many more years.

levin4now
Feb-10-2004, 8:12am
I once asked my MOM to go with me to a GL concert when I was in college. I knew she had an album by him and thought she might like to go. Well, she couldn't, but said she had seen him once way back when he was a young guy.
You have all mentioned some of my favorites such as Did She Mention My Name, Ribbon of Darkness, (That's What you Get) For Lovin Me.

I have trouble duplicating him on guitar though. I am certainly no expert on guit. or mandolin. His strumming seems 'complicated'. I can't match it. Maybe there's a secret one of you folks knows about that can help me.

terrygolletz.ca
Feb-29-2004, 3:47pm
I play a couple of Gord's tunes and they always get a good response in a song cicle jam. They are "Cotton Jenny" and "Did She Mention My Name." I did get weaned on Lightfoot in the sixties and have enjoyed him ever since.

Ken Waltham
Mar-21-2004, 8:42pm
We recorded "Redwood Hill", and "You are What I am" in our Bluegrass band, "Haldimand County Line".
Had to keep up the Canadain Content, eh?

These tunes sit very well in the bluegrass format.