PDA

View Full Version : Two five-course citterns from the 1920s

Martin Jonas
Apr-11-2007, 11:05am
I've been having a lot of fun recently with German waldzithers. These are mandola-sized nine-string instruments that are traditionally tuned to an open C tuning (or, more rarely, open tunings in other keys). They make wonderful conversions to five-course tunings in fifths, or various other tuning variations as one uses in modern citterns.

Here are my two (together with my A-jr for scale):

The larger one on the right is a nine-string from 1925, labelled "Joh. Zimmermann" (a large German wholesaler). Scale length is 43cm (17"), which is on the short side for waldzithers, which are typically 46cm. I have tuned it GDAEA, with a single G bass string, so I can play octave mandolin material on it.

The smaller one on the left is a recent acquisition, and it's rather unusual. For one, the scale length is only 40cm, i.e. even shorter than the Zimmermann. More significantly, it's a true ten-string. Originally, the string configuration was 4x2+1+1, i.e. four double courses and two different single bass courses. The lower of the two bass strings was free of the fretboard, being supported by a strange extension to the nut, i.e. it functioned as an unfretted fixed-pitch sub-bass like on a harp guitar. No label, but I would think it's 1920s, too.

I've replaced the original nut with a new bone nut, cut with a conventional five double courses, and have tuned it CGDAE, i.e. a true mandola/mandolin. Works quite well, although the C is a bit floppy and the E a bit shrill. Not quite the wonderful tone quality of the Zimmermann, though.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Apr-11-2007, 11:07am
And the backs: the Zimmermann has a bookmatched two-piece back, the anonymous one a nice one-piece.

Martin