PDA

View Full Version : Just saw my birthday loar

Jonathan Peck
Apr-10-2007, 1:07pm
...Oh man, I just saw a beautiful 1923 F-5 signed by Lloyd Loar on my birthdate 43 years before I was born...It's been rebound and refinished and has replica tuners and pickguard and is priced accordinly. What a real heart stopper to see my birthday on the holy grail...anybody want to buy me a present??

AlanN
Apr-10-2007, 1:12pm
hmmm....

sunburst
Apr-10-2007, 1:42pm
There were some signed on what would later be my birthday too. That's the only reason I don't have one yet; I'm holding out for one with my birthday on the label to come up for sale...
And yes, that is a good gift idea! Anyone?...

Mike Buesseler
Apr-10-2007, 1:53pm
Well, give me those dates, you guys. What the heck? I'll take care of you. Yup. You bet. Sure thing. No sweat. It's just the kind of guy I am. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

evanreilly
Apr-10-2007, 1:53pm
Okay, put up a link to this one. Is it @ Wexer's?

Jonathan Peck
Apr-10-2007, 2:19pm
How silly of me...yes it's at Wexer's...just about ten blocks (1/2 mile) from here...Hmmmmm, so close if I stick my head out the window I can probably smell the ff holes.

http://www.wexerguitars.com/

Tom C
Apr-10-2007, 2:25pm
When Mike Compton and David Long played at Parkside Lounge a couple of years ago, I drove Larry home to get some Loars he had at the time to bring back down. I've met him a few times and he was very gracious in letting us all play them without standing over and watching how they were being treated or wondering who had which one at any given time.

bradeinhorn
Apr-10-2007, 6:49pm
my prediction - capn sells the mowry - goes to AC, puts the 3500 on the 00 and hits. then buys the birthday loar.

f5loar
Apr-10-2007, 9:57pm
Your odds are pretty slim for an Oct. 31 Loar sign date.
I guess I had a lucky Loar BD of July 9th!

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-11-2007, 9:13am
I have several friends such as F5LOAR that own Loars and have a birthday matching a signature date. F5LOAR has a Loar with his own BD. The other friends need to trade their July 9's for June 13's and such

8ch(pl)
Apr-11-2007, 9:34am
I would have been able to make a financial commitment to buy this for you on the first of this month. Not today however, sorry.

sunburst
Apr-11-2007, 9:59am
The other friends need to trade their July 9's for June 13's and such
I'll trade a brand new mandolin for a Feb. 8!
What a deal! A new one for an old one! Anyone??

blacksmith
Apr-11-2007, 10:04am
Sure, I'll buy it for ya. Here's what we're gonna do: You send me a money order for $175K and your bank account #. I'll buy the the mandolin, put the balance in your account and ship you the mandolin. I know, my spelling's too good, no way this is legit. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonathan Peck
Apr-11-2007, 11:01am
And yes, that is a good gift idea! Anyone?...
Hey John,

I'll get the Feb. 8, you get the June 13...and then we can trade http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

One things still confusing though....how did Lloyd know? He was definitely a man ahead of his time

Jonathan Peck
Apr-11-2007, 11:05am
Capin'

You already spank that MM down and ready for a Loar
Shayne,

I'm still in a euphoric state with the MM...but it's ok if your eyes wander as long as your head doesn't turn.

kymandolin29
May-27-2007, 7:26pm
alan n's loar is the exact date....even the yr of my just passed dads birthday...if i could afford to kick in 30 or 40 k more with my fern id buy one....

Steven Stone
May-27-2007, 7:52pm
I played that mando last week.

It's a very good sounding Loar despite the new parts, Gilchrist refin and only so-so set-up.

With a better set-up it will be a fantastic mando. Only $90K. It may be one of the only "bargain" Loars out there. I liked it much better than "Scratchy" which I believe was similarly-priced.

allenhopkins
May-28-2007, 11:01am
If I ever get a Loar, I'll change my birthday to correspond with its birthday...

Robert Moreau
Sep-27-2008, 8:21am
I'd like to just try a Loar (even once, even if my birthday didn't appear on the label)... As I am realistic enough to realize that I might probably never meet the financial requirements to ever own one... that would be enough to keep me happy, very happy, I think.

Rob

f5loar
Sep-27-2008, 10:44pm
Well Rob if you ever get the chance to visit the USA look me up and I'll hook you up to a chance to play a couple of Loars in one sitting.

evanreilly
Sep-28-2008, 3:04pm
Make sure Rob doesn't want to export any more of them made in Kalamazoo rarities back to the Far East! Bad enough we have a trade deficit. No need to lose Loars as well!

f5loar
Sep-28-2008, 6:54pm
If Rob shows up with a suitcase full of Ben Franklin's he just might be able to make his wish come true and take a Loar home. He will need that expandable type briefcase.

AlanN
Sep-29-2008, 5:52am
The birthday Loar referenced above is indeed a monster, worked on and expertly restored to 1923 specs by the great Gilchrist. And it's one day beyond my birthday (on the DD-MM, that is). The late CD was fond of saying to me "Alan, do you know what you have, do you know what you have?" Like I didn't :mandosmiley: