PDA

View Full Version : Change in sound after string change

bluemtgrass
Apr-08-2007, 10:11am
I went from J-74's to J-75's and seemed to lose
some bass instead of gaining a bit. The bridge was moved SLIGHTLY and I'm wondering if that could have made the difference. I also replaced a couple of frets and I had to set the action a bit higher because of the new frets.
#After a while the J-4's seem to mellow and I'm curious if
I'm mistaking that for difference in volume. I probably will move the bridge to see if it makes a difference. The
first couple of changes I marked the bridge location, this time I didnt. Since intonation is correct, it cant be that far off from where it was.
At any rate, it is a bit puzzling.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Daniel Nestlerode
Apr-08-2007, 10:43am
The bridge movement could absolutely do it if the bridge feet are not planted firmly on the top. #See if you can slide a piece of paper underneath the feet.

Also if your bridge is out of place the intonation of your mandolin is off. #It needs to get back into the correct spot to perform best.

HTH,
Daniel

SternART
Apr-08-2007, 11:05am
Some mandolins respond better with different strings. The added pressure of the 75's on the top might be the problem.
I know I've had instruments that sounded fuller w/ 74's.....I tried 75's and went back to 74's when it wasn't as good...
then there are some instruments I split sets on, 75's on the E & A and 74's on the D & G. (actually the D's are the same in both sets)

If you can't figure it out......put 74's on again & see what happens.

fiddle5
Apr-08-2007, 1:10pm
The only real way to confirm your bridge placement is to check the intonation up as far as you can go. Doing this will confrim or deny any bridge problems. And as above posters mentioned, a slight change in strings can have a profound effect on the sound.If your bridge is dead on, then you know its the strings.

jasona
Apr-08-2007, 1:41pm
Some mandolins respond better with different strings. The added pressure of the 75's on the top might be the problem.
I know I've had instruments that sounded fuller w/ 74's.....I tried 75's and went back to 74's when it wasn't as good...
then there are some instruments I split sets on, 75's on the E & A and 74's on the D & G. (actually the D's are the same in both sets)

If you can't figure it out......put 74's on again & see what happens.
This is exactly the situation with my mandolin--I got less volume and a muffled tone. I remember you and Joe Craven asking how old the strings were on mine--only a few days, as I thought I'd maximize the volume on my mandolin with J-75s before heading to Inverness. I changed them back to J-74s when I got home and have never strayed since.

250sc
Apr-09-2007, 11:35am
Nathan,

The heavier strings might not be a good match for your instrument but it could be that your instrument hasn't had the time to get used to the strings.

I have a Colling MT and after switching from j-74s to 75s (I hated the A strings on the 74s) it seemed that it "fell asleep". However, after a couple of weeks I started noticing it becoming more responsive and after about a month and a half the bass responce started to open up. It took about a year for everything to stablize. I like the extra resistance the j75s give my right hand, the 'A' strings stay in tune better and now the mando is much more resonant.

I've had similar results from a different instrument when I changed the bridge. Sometimes they just have to break in again after making changes.

Keith Erickson
Apr-09-2007, 2:09pm
The bridge was moved SLIGHTLY and I'm wondering if that could have made the difference.
My personal preference is for J-74's. I've got a great response from those and since they've never let me down, I'll continue to use them.

However I've noticed that about a year ago my bridge was a tiny bit off. It made a HUGE difference. It seemed liked my mandolin was "fighting" itself tone-wise. When it was brought to my attention, and was fixed by moving the bridge to the appropriate location, my mando seemed to sound ohhh so sweet http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fredfrank
Apr-09-2007, 2:12pm
I have also found that different mandolins don't always like heavier strings. My Gibson Fern likes J74's while my Red Diamond seems to perform well with anything I put on it.

One thing to watch for when changing strings: sometimes the top or saddle of the bridge will tilt toward the fingerbord while the feet stay put. I've always felt that the wound strings must pull it toward the neck as I'm coming up to pitch. Whatever the cause, this could throw off the intonation as well.

Flowerpot
Apr-09-2007, 2:51pm
Bigger strings don't always sound louder, or bassier. Some mandolins just don't like the extra loading.

But if you had all the strings off at the same time, your mando may bo going through shock and need to settle out before if sounds decent again. This happens often regardless of what kind of strings you're putting on it -- that's why I always change strings one at a time if possible. It can go dead for a period of days to weeks if you suddenly take it to zero tension.

Kevin K
Apr-09-2007, 3:10pm
If you had the bridge off or most of the tension off when changing strings, it will take some time for the mandolin to sound like it should. It's very odd that it's that way but one of the ways of the mandolin. Give it some time if intonation is correct and the bridge is seated good. Then if not happy, change back. Just my experience.

Timbofood
Apr-09-2007, 3:16pm
When I got my first carved top mandolin I had a contact with GHS and asked him to gauge me up some "Ultra Heavy" sets to really load the top for a while. I'm talking .052. They took some time to get used to but I used them for maybe a year and a half playing a lot. Then, I went back to a stock med. gauge set(PF250) and I was blown away by how "hot" the lighter strings were! Also, the red stuff stopped coming out my fingertips. The "Load" issue I think is a very reasonable and understandable concept. Check bridge position and adjust if necessary then, if you still feel like the sound is lacking go back to your old strings and see if thats where you want the sound to be. If you are there Billbows, do you remember that?

Givson
Apr-09-2007, 3:35pm
On one of my mandolins, I have found that changing the position and angle of the bridge slightly can result in a less than perfect fit and does affect the sound quite a bit. There is definitely a sweet spot where this bridge sounds (and fits) best.

It is also possible that the changes in string gauge and action height could cause the tonal differences you describe. Heavier strings exert greater tension on the top and can result in a less mellow sound. I would try lowering the action slightly at the bridge to compensate for the heavier strings. This may give you the tone you desire.

Give the instrument a few days to settle in with the new settings.