PDA

View Full Version : Ebony buttons

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 9:48am
Dave Harvey suggested these and I thought I would share how nice they look. They were plastic white ones before being replaced.

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 9:49am
Dave replaced the Schallers with Gibson Grovers. The Schallers turned the wrong way.

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 9:51am
The overall tuning seems easier tuning the right direction. This is more a close up. I hope you all enjoy these.
Tony

bradeinhorn
Apr-08-2007, 1:11pm
is that the lebeda?

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2007, 1:16pm
They look great. Can I ask where you got the buttons? Did they fit the Gibson Grovers or were the tuners modified?

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 3:00pm
It is a Lebeda AM-4. Dave Harvey obtained the knobs. I do not think they were modified. I will add some pictures.
Tony

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 3:01pm
The top.

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 3:02pm
The back.

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 3:04pm
The neck.

red7flag
Apr-08-2007, 3:06pm
The whole back.
The instrument has almost a classical sound to it. It's got the tone.
Tony

mandomick
Apr-08-2007, 3:41pm
I love the way the ebony buttoned Waverlys look on my BRW F but I can't hear a tonal difference between button materials the way some folks claim.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2007, 4:50pm
I love the way the ebony buttoned Waverlys look on my BRW F but I can't hear a tonal difference between button materials the way some folks claim.
How old were the buttons? They have to age to open up before you can really hear the difference. That's the secret of the Stradivarius violins. Ebony tuners.

JEStanek
Apr-08-2007, 7:55pm
I love the look of wooden buttons. Tony, your's look great. I don't know if button material so far removed from the strings and upstream of the nut make any tonal difference but... they sure look nice.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2007, 8:40pm
I don't know if button material so far removed from the strings and upstream of the nut make any tonal difference but...

Oh sure, ruin my fun http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandolooter
Apr-08-2007, 9:18pm
I only notice the difference in tone when it's out of tune...YMMV

labraid
Apr-09-2007, 1:50am
I cut 'n' polish wood buttons for Schallers if anyone's interested in a set.

JEStanek
Apr-09-2007, 8:03am
Sorry, Mike. I didn't read the playfulness. Folks make a lot of claims about factors influencing tone while being deadly serious. I shouldn't be surprised one day to read a discussion on the relative merits of cow leather vs. pig, calf, alligator, or synthetic polyester naugaheydes for post bridge string overtone dampening!

All sillyness aside, I love the look of wooden buttons. The only ones I like better are the inlaid Handel styles either vintage or the new ones Mike Blohm makes. I think a nice wooden button can really tie the instrument's look all together.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2007, 8:30am
I shouldn't be surprised one day to read a discussion on the relative merits of cow leather vs. pig, calf, alligator, or synthetic polyester naugaheydes for post bridge string overtone dampening!
Wait, are you saying there isn't a difference? I was sold a bill of goods again....

JEStanek
Apr-09-2007, 8:53am
Sucker! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Everyone knows the best material is original Loar case velvet, it's got the mojo and the benefit of disintegrated pickguard gasses to accentuate the mid-ranges.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2007, 9:03am
I feel so used. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

red7flag
Apr-09-2007, 9:11am
I am curious about the Schallers that were on the dola. They turned the opposite direction than all my other instruments, as they turn clockwise vs counterclockwise. As the builder is European, I at first thought this might be a European convention. Can anybody explain this to me.
Tony

DryBones
Apr-09-2007, 1:58pm
can I get those ebony buttons for my Eastman 505?

red7flag
Apr-09-2007, 8:07pm
I suggest you talk to David Harvey at the Gibson Showcase. I am sure he will hook you up.
Tony