PDA

View Full Version : March Mandolin Festival in New Hampshire

yoods
Feb-01-2004, 9:18am
Hi all,
Just got this email from David and I wanted to pass it on. If you don't know David, he is an outstanding mandolin player and instructor. This could be a great oportunity for players in the New England and greater area.
===============================================

Hi everyone,

# Here's the notice for the return of last year successful mandolin festival (Revenge of the Killer Tremelos!!!) It's a fun event, whether you're a picker or a listener.

# The second annual March mandolin festival is being organized for Saturday, March 6, at the Concord Community Music School in Concord NH. Featuring two of New England's finest pickers, John McGann and David Surette, this day-long event offers top-notch instruction in a group lesson and workshop format, jam sessions, an informal open stage opportunity, and an evening concert. An initial outline of the festival format will follow at the end of this message. We are planning to limit the number of workshop participants to 30: 15 beginner/intermediate level, and 15 intermediate to advanced level. Depending upon the response, this breakdown may vary slightly, but we are not planning on taking more than 30 students for the daytime workshops. The cost for the entire festival (two group lessons, jam sessions, open stage, and evening concert) is $50 . If you've taken private lessons lately, you will surely recognize this as a great opportunity and value. We are also opening up the open stage and evening concert portion of the #festival to the listening public, with an admission fee of $10.

# To register, send a check for $50 made out to David Surette to 16 Sewall Rd., South Berwick ME, 03908. These will be held as a deposit until the day of the festival. For more info, feel free to call 207-384-8151. The Concord Community Music School is located at 23 Wall St. in downtown Concord NH, just a few blocks off of Main St. Their telephone number is 603-228-1196.

# John McGann is a former National Mandolin champion, and one of the finest mandolin and guitar players you will ever hear. He has played with a wide variety of New England-based groups over the years, and currently plays with The Wayfaring Strangers and Rust Farm, as well as working as a frequent accompanist for Boston Irish players such as Seamus Connolly and Joe Derrane. His eclectic repertoire betrays a strong interest in improvisation, and includes jazz, bluegrass and newgrass, country, Irish and other Celtic music, classical, and original compositions. John is also an experienced teacher, and operates a well-known custom transcription service. He is also a published author and transcriber #for Mel Bay and Homespun Tapes.

# # #David Surette is highly regarded throughout New England and beyond for his work on the mandolin, guitar (both flatpick and fingerstyle), and bouzouki. He is well-known as a top-notch accompanist in New England's contra dance and Celtic music circles, and is also in demand as a studio musician and sideman. He plays regularly with Susie Burke, with Rodney Miller and Airdance, and as a soloist. His diverse repertoire includes traditional American roots music, Celtic and contra tunes, original compositions, bluegrass, blues and ragtime, and folk music from a variety of traditions, all played with finesse, taste, and virtuosity. He is also an experienced teacher, and co-ordinates folk music programming as well as teaches regularly at the Concord Community Music School.

March Mandolin Fest 2004: tentative schedule

10:30 arrival, tuning, etc.
11:00-12:30 class session
12:30-2:00 lunch break
2:00-3:30 class session
4:00-5:30 jam sessions
two organized jam sessions; one slow and
one less slow, as well as the option for "splinter groups" who could jam
w/o our supervision
5:30-7:30 dinner break
7:30 concert: 1/2 hr. open stage, followed by one concert set from John and David

David Surette
16 Sewall Rd., South Berwick ME, 03908
207-384-8151
e-mail: soozendave@surfglobal.net

J. Mark Lane
Feb-01-2004, 9:43am
I do want to attend this. I think they ought to set up a PayPal account so people can pay online. It would make registration so much easier. And it's so easy to set up a PayPal account, and you can transfer money from it to your bank account with a couple of clicks...

My 2 cents...

Mark