PDA

View Full Version : Rigel G5

A9cp
May-11-2004, 7:24pm
Played the Rigel G5 and other Regels at Merlefest. Never picked up a Rigel until then. Darn little thing has a bark thats for sure. Clean, clear, loud and the neck was really easy to move around on. Any comments on Rigel's construction, bracing, longevity, resale.

mcmando
May-12-2004, 10:59am
A9cp,

My $.02--

I've owned a couple of Rigels (an A+ deluxe that I sold and my current G-110), played a few more, and I am a big fan. #

The necks are wonderful and tone seems to be very consistent on Rigels in general. #This is probably due to the method of construction-- they can be strung up without the top glued on and then the top can be removed and the graduation can be "fine tuned".

I can't speak to the issue of longevity but, again, construction method would seem to support a case for a long and healthy life. #Rigel uses a solid block of maple that's "hollowed out" to produce the rim, and the tops and backs are glued into a recess that's milled into the rim on each side. #

Resale I can speak to-- new A+'s sell for about $1800, good condition used ones for $1300 to $1400. #G-110's go for about $3800 new and used ones run $2500 to $3000. #Used ones priced this way tend to be snapped up pretty quick on the classifieds.

I've not tried a G-5, but have heard from others that it's a canon and has a "vintage" tone. #With construction, tone, and volume like that and the playability of the Rigel neck, the G-5 has got to be terrific.

Fuzzyway
May-12-2004, 11:08am
A9cp,

I have owned a G-110, a CT-110 and currently have a G-5. The G and CT were both marvelous instruments with good tone and of course great playability. The G-5 is in a class by itself compared to the other Rigels. I agree with "Mcmando" the G-5 does indeed have a vintage tone. Mine has a ton more bass response than the previous Rigels and in general just sounds like it is 40 years old right out of the box.

Anyone considering a mando in this price range should give the G-5 a look.

Fuzzy

A9cp
May-13-2004, 10:21am
Thank you for the honest feedback