PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky km-505

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2007, 5:07pm
Does anyone own a KM-505 or has anyone played one? Can they be considered the A version of the KM-1000 or are in they in a totally different league?

big h
Mar-31-2007, 8:05pm
Are you thinking of an EATMAN 505MD?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Stephen Perry
Mar-31-2007, 8:14pm
Given the wood and price difference, I wouldn't expect the KM505 to be the equivalent of the KM1000. I have both the KM1000 and KM505 on order, so I'll be able to give a comparison eventually.

JEStanek
Mar-31-2007, 8:16pm
It looks like the high end Kentucky A from their website (http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?Page=1&view=&keyword=&CategoryID=2&FamilyID=3&BrandID=20).

The website says it's all hand carved (top back and sides) so I guess it is to compete with the Eastmans. From Elderly they're selling for about $300 less than the mid priced (comparably appointed) Eastman 605. Why not give Elderly a call as they sell both models and ask to speak to someone who can tell the differences.

Jamie

Jim Broyles
Mar-31-2007, 8:17pm
h, you mean Eastman, and no, there is a Kentucky KM-505 (http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=KM-505).

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2007, 10:43pm
It's a Kentucky model. I haven't seen them on the Elderly site, Janet Davis is out of stock as is Dennis at the Mandolin Store. Steve do you have any idea when you'll have them in stock?

Stephen Perry
Apr-01-2007, 7:28am
end of april, probably briefly! KM-1000 already has a buyer

big h
Apr-01-2007, 9:10pm
Sorry.I ment to say Eastman,and I just saw the Kentucky modle.I played one and it sounded really nice to me.

jeromie
Apr-17-2007, 10:12pm
I'm interested in hearing any feedback on this mandolin, too. I'm looking to buy a first mandolin soon (preferably < $500), and if this one is good I may actually buy a new one. Otherwise, the used Eastman 605 in the classifieds looks pretty tempting...

hungry mountain boy
Apr-18-2007, 12:27pm
I noticed from the Saga website that the top wood differs from the KM 1000. The 1000 has select red spruce and the 505 has select spruce (doesn't say red)? Select seems to be an upgrade from all the other models, that just say spruce. Glenn Hurley

DryBones
Apr-18-2007, 12:38pm
I would jump on that Eastman in the classifieds if I wasn't left handed. NFI

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2007, 7:27pm
I would jump on that Eastman in the classifieds if I wasn't left handed.

I've been agonizing over jumping on that myself. I had him send me some more pictures of it today. It's beautiful.

Rob Griffin
Apr-21-2007, 10:58am
After reading the buzz about the new KM1000 and seeing the KM-505 mentioned in that thread, I decided to take a chance on the 505. I really sort of prefer a A style and I couldn't afford the KM-1000 anyway. I received my mandolin the middle of this week from Elderly. I am so impressed and happy with it. I've owned two different Eastman F style mandolins that I bought brand new in the last couple of years. This Kentucky sounds better right out of the box than either of the Eastmans I've had. I still have one of the Eastmans, a 515, so I have been able to compare the Kentucky to it. The Kentucky has perhaps a little more volume and the tone is surprisingly richer or more full sounding. Even my wife could tell the difference.

The Kentucky has very nice flamed maple on the back sides and neck. Not as figured as the Eastman 505 in the classifieds that was mentioned but very nice wood. The fit and finish on the Kentucky is also very good. I would say on par with the Eastman's I've had. I wish the frets were a little taller on the Kentucky but the neck shape and size feels great and it plays very smooth.

I could not imagine that a mandolin at this price, $375, could be this good right out of the box. The only thing I've done is raise the bridge a couple of turns on the bass side and about one turn on the treble side. Even the strings that came on the Kentucky are usable, not like the very light gauge cheapies that usually come on inexpensive mandos.

I'm no expert and all of this is just my opinion but I am a happy Kentucky 505 owner.

Rob

Skittle
Apr-21-2007, 8:41pm
Hey Rob, lets see some pics of that 505 if possible.

blaine
Aug-05-2011, 4:55pm
musiciansfriend.com free shipping no sales tax

rgray
Aug-05-2011, 5:36pm
Ummm, 4 year old thread tells me the guy ain't looking anymore.