PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin strap noise

trenton1987
Mar-27-2007, 9:21am
I've got a basic leather strap on an F-5L and it squeaks and groans up at the main scroll from pressure. Unfortunatlely, this noise makes it's way through the pickup, through the loop pedal, and all the way out through the amp. I'm working on getting rid of as many sound impurities as I can. Anyone have any suggestions for this one? Does the leather need to be "conditioned" in some way? New strap with different material? Thanks for your help.

Jim Broyles
Mar-27-2007, 9:43am
Go acoustic, young man!
Seriously, it just sounds like either your strap is so thick, it's binding in the scroll and squeaking as it rubs, or the leather is just stiff. Is your strap loop free to move within the scroll? Try tying a piece of rawhide lacing to your strap, and attaching it to the scroll if you can't soften it up.

Steven Stone
Mar-27-2007, 10:11am
I would try a strap that uses a thinner loop as well.

My preference are the Colorado Case fabric straps. They are adjustable and with their thin scroll straps, should be silent.

Paul Hostetter
Mar-27-2007, 10:45pm
This illustrates my long-standing position that pickups and mandolins don't go together very well. They are usually so hot they make a bigger mic out of the whole mandolin. This is why I prefer real microphones, whether they're on a stand, clipped on, or even inside the mandolin on a gooseneck. I once saw a guy onstage holding his wired-up mandolin and heard his stomach gurgling through the speakers between songs. Yuck.

mandroid
Mar-27-2007, 11:21pm
Rosin ! , you could have a unique rhythm instrument to add to the sound palette.
think Samba, Brazilian rhythms

mythicfish
Mar-28-2007, 4:46am
Strap overtone supressor grometts ... the new niche market item!

Curt

DryBones
Mar-28-2007, 6:40am
Strap overtone supressor grometts ... the new niche market item!

Curt
just don't get the ones at Radio Shack, buy them from a CAfe member instead! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif