PDA

View Full Version : My first build

Rick Crenshaw
Mar-26-2007, 6:40pm
Well, I can't compete with the pro's on the 'Show your works in progress' thread. #So I'll just post a pic and a link here of my first mandolin - a Stew-Mac kit. #The unbound box sat for a solid year while I plotted and procrastinated on my approach to the binding. #Finally just dug in and said 'what the heck'. #It came out OK, but not close to professional quality. I decided at that point to finish as a distressed mandolin! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif # #I bound it, strung it up and picked it, thinned it here and there, picked some more, thinned some more, till it sounded good to me. #I had no experience so I relied on my ears and what I thought would work. #Anyways, here's a pic of "The POS'M'. #It's an acronym. #You figure it out. #Sounds better than alright and plays great. #I'm liking the tone, though it is far from the clarity of the Daley's tone. #It has more overtones and very good bass and low mid's. #The A string is getting better each day and the E is better than I hoped. #It's a good mandolin to pick around the house and to take on trips.

If someone was to clue me in on how to post a recording from my R-09, I'd put up a track or two.

Thanks for looking in. #Pic on next post.

Rick Crenshaw
Mar-26-2007, 6:45pm
French polished varnish finish over hand rubbed burst. ##

The whole batch of pics can be seen here.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1843409

mandopete
Mar-26-2007, 6:51pm
POS'M - I love it! I bought a Stew-Mac fiddle kit years ago and it's still in garage waiting for me start.

mandolooter
Mar-26-2007, 6:56pm
nice work Rick!

Avi Ziv
Mar-26-2007, 7:14pm
Wonderful Rick! You should be proud.

I'm still working (slowly) on my first

Avi

JEStanek
Mar-26-2007, 7:15pm
Hey that looks pretty nice. You're playing Possum with your skills. I hope my first looks that nice.

Jamie

Jerry Stapleton
Mar-26-2007, 7:28pm
nice first build! my first one didnt look that good. Keep on building!

Mark Walker
Mar-27-2007, 8:13am
Looks good! Is that a 'herringbone' binding? Looks like some little design in it.

Very nice!

Rick Crenshaw
Mar-27-2007, 9:01am
No, that's probably the low resolution I used on the camera to be able to download the pics in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes that makes fine lines in the w/b/w binding look checkerboard or figured. There are a few spots on the edge that were 'intentionally' worn to simulate a distressed mandolin. The spruce grain makes that look patterned in those areas.

Skip Kelley
Mar-27-2007, 11:40am
Awesome mandolin! With that kind of talent you need to start on number two!

K3NTUCKI8oy
Mar-27-2007, 1:43pm
DAGGON! thats a fine number 1 mandolin! Great job!