PDA

View Full Version : Pearloid

DavidB
Mar-23-2007, 6:58am
I was looking at the pearloid binding on LMII and it seems they only have .060x1/4 . Is there a source for small stuff? .020 or .040 x .075 or even 1/8? I was looing for a thin trim on ebony fretboard to leave some ebony showing at the bottom and a top trim aginst black bindings on the body and headstock. I hope I was clear in stating my desired binding scheme.

DavidB
Mar-26-2007, 6:18am
It seems there is none so as it is so often said on this forum, I will have to just make it. I think I can make a guide for the band saw to split the width and one for the drill press to act as a thickness sander using course sanding drum and slow speed. At least it is worth a try.

sunburst
Mar-26-2007, 7:19am
Dave, there's a thread somewhere about reducing the thickness of binding material. It is usually better to scrape away the extra thickness rather than sand, because of the thermoplastic properties of the binding material and the heat produced from sanding. There were some pictures of jigs that people had made for the job.
I'll see if I can 'search' it out.

sunburst
Mar-26-2007, 7:30am
Found it...LINK (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=42059;hl=binding+thin)

Jim Hilburn
Mar-26-2007, 8:02am
Allparts has some pearloid binding but I don't know in what sizes.

DavidB
Mar-26-2007, 6:22pm
Thanks guys,I'll give it a go. As, always good info John. and Jim glad to get the Allparts info. Some other stuff there that is hard to find. I think I'll try the Abalone binding and make a narrow purfling. should go good with the pearloid trim and this one will have a generous amount of inlay.