PDA

View Full Version : Pick up the world?

Volvoguy
Mar-22-2007, 5:17pm
Hey guys, I need to put a pickup on my heiden F, but I'm really not sure what to use. I've heard good things about Pick up the world pickups for guitars, but how is the mandolin version? I like the fact it just sits under the bridge with nothing else needed.

Any other suggestions??

steve V. johnson
Mar-23-2007, 9:36am
I have no experience with PUTW mandolin pickups, but I have PUTW Sound Board Transducer pickups in three guitars and my Phil Crump bouzouki, and I love them.

David Enke, the Main Man of PUTW, is a wonderfully helpful guy, and I would expect that he could provide you with sound samples and pictures and a lot of other information. When I first found out about PUTW pickups, I contacted him from the website and all his advice was splendidly useful. And he understands that not everyone will choose to use his stuff.

I first heard PUTW pickups when I was sent the tracks of a solo acoustic guitar album to mix in my studio. i was told that all the tracks had been recorded straight from a pickup, and I was VERY suspicious. This is not normally a good thing at all. When I got the tracks they were wonderful. They sounded just like the atrist's big Lowden guitar itself, no artifacts, just like being in the room. So I immediately contacted David.

Now, those pickups are very different in application from the mandolin pickups... And there are a while bunch of other pickups that players here are very happy with... so ... my experience isn't really directly applicable to your situation. But I encourage you to speak with David and explore the PUTWs further.

All the best,

stv

Bob Denton
Mar-23-2007, 12:21pm
I used one on my Ocatave when I was gigging regularly and it was great! I had 2 installed, one inside under the bridge and the other under the bridge feet on the top.

Both sound fine but I removed the top one and the volume kicked up a bit.

I also have one on my Irish tenor. The preamp is critical on these. It needs to be as close to the pickup as possible. I have their plugin preamp. That way I can switch instruments in a hurry with one preamp.

cu

Bob