PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing body on e string attack

Steve Jeter
Mar-22-2007, 9:31am
I have a cheapie Oscar Scxhmidt that I take fishing, to the park etc. When I play the E strings I get a buzz sort of noise. I slacked strings and raised bridge on that side . but its not fretting out and the action is not too low. I dont know what to check next. Could I have a loose brace or something. I know I need a lond handled mirror to look inside , but can anybody give me clues of what to look for. Its not a bad mando for what it is ,but I dont want to take it to a luthier. Where I live they are either real expensive or not so bright. Any help appreciated.
Thanks Steve

Yuletide
Mar-22-2007, 10:41am
One quick and easy thing to check: is the tailpiece cover (assuming there is one) touching any of the strings? I had a mando start buzzing once and I spent the longest time looking for the source. It clearly wasn't a fret buzz, and nothing seemed loose. Then I took off the tailpiece cover and the buzzing went away. Put it back on and discovered it buzzed against a string if pushed down all the way. Solved the problem by glueing a piece of felt to the inside of the cover.

Steve Jeter
Mar-22-2007, 1:10pm
Thanks Bob, I will try that tonight. Steve

The Mandolin Store
Mar-22-2007, 2:00pm
If it's not the tailpiece cover, I have seen a loose truss rod vibrate and cause noise. Not as common as the tailpiece cover but a possibility. Loose screws on the tuning key buttons can also rattle but not sure if the OS has those kind.
Thanks,
Dennis

Keith Erickson
Mar-22-2007, 2:37pm
One quick and easy thing to check: is the tailpiece cover (assuming there is one) touching any of the strings? #I had a mando start buzzing once and I spent the longest time looking for the source. #It clearly wasn't a fret buzz, and nothing seemed loose. #Then I took off the tailpiece cover and the buzzing went away. Put it back on and discovered it buzzed against a string if pushed down all the way. Solved the problem by glueing a piece of felt to the inside of the cover.
In my case, I pulled the tailpiece cover just back a hair and the buzzing just magically stopped http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Steve Jeter
Mar-23-2007, 10:50am
Thanks guys , It seems like it was the tailpiece cover buzzing. Now why didnt I think of that http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif